Compressors

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by johnk_10, Nov 18, 2012.

1. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    after building more than 60 different OD/distortion/fuzz tones, i decided to build a few compressors and surprisingly, i'm happy with all 4 of them that i've built thus far.

back when they first came out (in the 70's) i used to own an Armstrong Orange Squeezer and i really liked it, so i built one from the original schematic. they're not at all flexible, since they're just either on or off, but IMO, they do sound really nice.

the second one that i built is the Rothwell Love Squeeze. I think these are very nice (and quiet too). my build has no low end loss (i don't think the originals do either), but i'm going to add a clean blend circuit to it before i box it up. even on its own i'm pretty happy with it. IMO, it's very smooth and full sounding.

third up is the Keeley 4 knob compressor. stock, it had a slight bit of low end loss so i modded mine for use with a bass and i absolutely love it. with some settings, it can even get up to moderate overdrive sounds out of it that simulates the 'push' of a tube amp at it's sweet spot.

here's a couple of pics of the Keeley clone:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

.....and the fourth one that i built is the Emma Transmorgrifier. i also modded this one for no low end loss. IMO, its a great compressor now and is actually capable of heavy overdrive. i plan to mount it in its enclosure tomorrow.

i'll also add a few clips of them in this thread using my trusty p bass. ;)

2. kurosawa

kurosawa Supporting Member

Holy smokes! That's your idea of a HOBBY!? After looking at what you did, I stepped outside and had a smoke. THAT'S my idea of a hobby!

3. caeman

caeman The Root Master

So, John, if you ever feel the need to just give away a bunch of your pedals, I am sure you could make a lot of money for charity.

4. Spencer!

Spencer! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Stompbox designer/builder for 3Leaf Audio
    You are a pedal building machine.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. liveburning274

liveburning274

*waits for the attack of the bongo on this thread* :bag:

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Oh, I don't attack unless there's a grievous failure to read the FAQ or a screed against science.

I'm all in favor of building pedals for personal use. :)

8. liveburning274

liveburning274

Haha...touche! But as planned an entrance has been made ;)

9. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    got the TransMorgrifier boxed today, and i'm really digging this one! ;)

i'll post a couple of soundclips tomorrow...............

[​IMG]

10. caeman

caeman The Root Master

John, you should put up a web site with all of your creations. You must br one the prolific personal builds guys around.

11. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    well, i already did create a page with a little info and sample soundclips of the dirt pedals that i built for myself which you can view HERE.

12. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Ah ha! That was the link.

13. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I use a Keeley two-knob as an always on comp. Did you really find low end loss with the 4 knob version? Very interested in your take on this design. I happen to think the Keeley two knob is the best comp ever made for bass, though many disagree. What I like about the Keeley is it's tube-like hair that it achieves. I think a dying 9v kind of enhances it, but I may be wrong. I've tried so many comps and still found many of the reviews simply did not mirror my experience when it came to the Keeley. One of Brad Paisley's amp guru's turned me on to them a few years back and I'm glad he did.

14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The only difference between the two and four knob versions is the placement of two pots: inside or outside.

Re low end loss, it depends on your bass (low E, low B?), your speakers (many can't even reproduce the lows that are cut by the pedal), and of course your expectations.

15. petrus61

Fortunately, as an objective observer, user and human being, my expectations don't play a role in what gear I use:ninja:. It works for me or it doesn't. I'm well aware that the two pedals are the same...mine is set slightly different than stock with the inner trim pots, tweaked slightly to accomodate the 'bucking of a split coil, but I think I like the stock setting best. I'm also aware of your reviews on this pedal. I'm interested on what exactly Johnk may have done so I that I may consider such a mod with Robert in the future.

16. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    for me the Keeley has just a hint of low end loss, but i wanted it to have none so i just raised the value of the input and output caps to allow more low end thru the circuit. i socketed those two caps and was able to A/B different values on the fly and when i heard the ultra low subs coming thru, i knew it was done.

17. willsellout

willsellout

Clever marketing is clever ;)

18. crguti

crguti

So, you only copy an already design? What about your own designs?

19. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    i've made a few of my own designs, but i also most of the existing designs of the clones that i build for use with a bass (i.e. change their eq points or in the case of overdrives, i change the type and/or amount of clipping). IME, most pedals 'borrow' designs that have been around for years with just a few tweaks here and there. there are a zillion boutique versions of modified big muffs, rat pedals, tube screamers, blues drivers and marshall blues breakers.

20. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    here's the orange squeezer clone with an added volume and blend control:

[​IMG]

21. petrus61

Any info on the exact type of input/output caps and placement you swapped out? Love mine, so if there's a way to make it better, I'm all in. Great as is though.