1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

computer problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by colcifer, Jan 24, 2013.

1. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

So, I have an old Toshiba laptop running xp, the kind you just leave on for fear it won't boot right again. But, some of my software has been having problems and I had to restart my computer. Guess what happened? It goes to the boot menu and no matter what option I pick, it blue screens and restarts. Ideas of things I can try?

Grazie.
  2. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight

RAM failure is probably the most likely.

How old is the laptop?
  3. lustersilk

lustersilk

Try getting it into "Safe Mode" - usually "F8" or one of the other function keys, right after you power it on. If it does boot up, go to "Device Manager" and see if any hardware problems are identified. Good luck, I know how much that sucks!
  4. Ayce

Ayce

Another thing to check is the fan outlets. I've seen this happen in cases of overheating. Get a can of air and blow out all fans.
  5. colcifer

Still no luck. Thanks anyway.
  6. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

The blue screen has an error message. Please post it.
  7. hover

hover

Or

;)
  8. colcifer

The blue screen flashes too quick to read.
  9. WashburnBasser

WashburnBasser

Take a picture? :meh:
  10. Ayce

Ayce

What happens after the BSOD? Usually it stays onscreen until reboot.
    Nevermind, I just reread the op. :(
  11. colcifer

Blink of an eye fast. Very unhelpful, this blue screen is.
  12. ArtGuy9516

ArtGuy9516

Try to access the BIOS setup and check your hard drive settings and make sure it still is being recognized. When you turn on your machine it should flash what you need to press to access the BIOS setup
  13. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

If it is a blue screen then the HD is recognized. The classic blue screen of death is from windows, not the BIOS, so windows does start loading.

We really need the error message. If it flashes to quickly use a camera.
  14. giacomini

giacomini Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    Doesn't pressing 'pause' on the keyboard freezes the screen like in the bios messages? Can't remember if that works in blue screens...
  15. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

Dunno. Last time this happened to my gaming box I just used the 7D in high-FPS bird photography mode :D
  16. colcifer

I was able to get part of is with a camera.

A problem has been detected...
    BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO
    If this is the first time you have seen this stop screen...
    Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If problems continue disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as [can't be read]

Thanks again.
  17. colcifer

My google fu has proven too weak. Anyone know how to do that?
  18. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

In a non-laptop I'd say replace the BIOS battery and reset the BIOS values.

In a laptop it can be annoying but resetting the BIOS values is a good thing to try even if you can't get to the battery.

(this means the mainboard bios/time battery, not the main battery)
  19. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Hmmmmmm....... and you tried hitting F8 to go to safe mode?

Sounds like it's mad at some hardware. Maybe a video card? Maybe the hard drive? (I recently backed up and swapped out a hard drive that was going bad on a friend's Toshiba laptop.) Google is still your best friend here. However, you have to be REALLY SPECIFIC. When trying to Google a problem, type in the EXACT model number of your computer along with the problem. Odds are there's a forum SOMEWHERE that has addressed it.

My brother's A+ certification class teacher drilled into them that "Google is God" when it comes to repairs. He forced them to Google solutions to just about anything they studied in their class. He even trained them that when they get out working in a IT department, whenever they encounter a problem they can't fix off the top of their heads, just tell the person who has the "broken" computer that you have one other machine to fix and that you'll be back in a few. Then run around the corner and Google the problem on your laptop. Then when you come back, you look like a genius for being able to just fix the thing. Ha! My teacher for the same class didn't go that far with it, but touted the use of Google as a great tool.

Short version: Could be a lot of things. But you certainly aren't the first to come across it. And somebody has figured it out on a forum somewhere. Good luck! Please report back.
  20. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler

You might be faced with needing to do a Windows repair.

Insert your disc and select the repair option. It should replace all system files with original copies so you can now boot up. The only problem is that some applications/games you installed will have updated/changed some of the system files and replacing them with the unchanged copies might make these programs not run properly or at all, anymore. Then, you might need to reinstall these.

But, short of spending some cash, this might be your best option.