Concert Band Sheet Music - Tuba or Trombone?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by FunkMetalBass, Feb 21, 2014.

1. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I've been given sheet music for a series of songs, and I'm unsure - do I play the tuba parts, or the trombone parts? The sheet music in both instances appears to vary by only an octave (with the tuba dipping down to about an octave below the standard E-string, which I'm equipped to handle).

Then an aside, do tubas really go down to ~20Hz, or do bass guitars just sound an octave lower than written?

2. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

bass sound one octave lower than it is written which I find strange because to me it doesn't sound that low, a Tuba sounds really low and the music is written correcly for it.

Well ... it many instance the DB will double the Tuba in an orchestra but this isn't an hard rule at all.

3. Reddog01

Reddog01

You will find that music is much easier to read when it is written within the staff. Ledger lines are very difficult for most to read, especially if your eyes are not that sharp (this comes from a 63 year old who is having cataract surgery in two weeks). Tuba players, bass trombone players, bassoon players, etc. read the ledger lines, but standard trombone parts are much easier to read. If you are reading scores, however, you will find that the trombones usually play tenor parts, not the low bass parts. Bass guitar players read within the staff, but are actually playing an octave down. Yes, it's cheating, but who cares? At least we can read the parts!

4. Lownote38

Lownote38

Trombone has always been easy to read on a 5 string for me. I play tuba parts an octave higher.

5. Register to disable this ad