Concert for George Harrison All-star tribute on You Tube today

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Richland123, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Richland123

Richland123

Concert for George Harrison All-star tribute on You Tube today

http://www.youtube.com/user/georgeharrisonvideo

On November 29th, 2001, George Harrison died after a long battle with cancer at the age of 58. One year later, his wife Olivia and son Dhani organized Concert for George, an all-star tribute show held at the Royal Albert Hall and featuring Harrison's closest friends and collaborators, including Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Eric Clapton, Jeff Lynne, Ravi Shankar, Tom Petty and many more.

To mark the event's 10-year anniversary, the entire Concert For George – which features performances of Harrison favorites like "Here Comes The Sun," "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," and "Taxman" – will be streaming on Harrison's official YouTube channel today until 10 p.m. EST. Watch it here to celebrate the life and music of the Quiet Beatle.
  2. JimK

JimK

I bought the Concert For George DVDs when they were released...two(2) things I remember-
    Anoushka Shankar & Sam Brown stole the show...
  3. Baer

Baer

That's a great concert film - lots of great music from a lot of talented people. Been one of my favorites for years now.
  4. longfinger

longfinger

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

My favorite concert video of all time (right up there with 'The Last Waltz'). For a guy my age (55), 'All Things Must Pass' was kind of the 'last Beatles album' in a way. Loved that recording. Amazing that most of the drumming was Alan White (eventually drummer for Yes), and much of the percussion was played by a kid named Phil Collins! Nice to hear many of those tunes 'updated' and performed live.

I tell you what, that whole tribute concert performance is amazing. The Indian section is wonderful if you are in the mood for it.

What I like most though is the 'build' of that amazing band as the concert goes on. It really starts to 'click' IMO when Ringo does Photograph. You can see him light up the whole audience and the band. After that, IMO it is one of the best rhythm section performances of all time. The primary drummer (can't remember his name) and the bassist give literally a clinic on how to anchor a big pile of players. And when Billy Preston hits the stage, the whole thing moves to yet another level. His solo in 'Isn't it a Pity' is beyond belief, and you can see the whole band (Clapton included) start to really dig in.

Also, cool that it was the first time Paul and Ringo performed together in a concert setting since the rooftop concert during 'Let it Be'. Tom Scott on sax, Keltner on 'second drum kit', Alvin Lee out there basically just to play the Carl Perkins stuff with Ringo, and about 100 million records sold among all the guys on stage (Petty, Paul, Ringo, the leader of Procol Harum... can't remember his name, Alvin Lee, Clapton, Preston, Lynn, on and on).

Cool that George's son is playing also.

If you are a fan of that era of music, it is a MUST see. Sorry for the blah, blah, blah, but the performance really is something. Like a freight train picking up speed through the night. The last tune (an old standard, played on the Uke by they guy who the Beatles opened up for in their very early years... sorry again, can't remember his name) is worth the whole price of the disc.
  7. 4-string

4-string Supporting Member

Primary drummer would be Jim Keltner. Killer, killer drummer!

Love that whole show, fantastic from beginning to end. And Sam Brown is still hot. ;)
  8. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Keltner is actually the secondary drummer (stage left), basically doing fills. He's hardly even on camera. The primary drummer is just killing (if you notice, he counts off most of the tunes). I had never heard of him before.

Edit: Cool that Jim Cappaldi (along with Ringo) are additional drummers as the evening rolls one.
  9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Just looked it up... Henry Spinetti. Amazing performance by him IMO.

Edit: Just checked out his story. He did a lot of studio work with Clapton, and also has a Procol Harum connection. Played on one of Harrison's studio releases, so seems like the primary connection for the concert is Clapton.

I love Keltner, but he had very little to do IMO with that rhythm section on that night. Henry is DRIVING that band. Just smoking.
  10. 4-string

4-string Supporting Member

Ahh, it's been a while since I watched it. Had to take a look again, and you're right of course. Keltner, Spinetti, Ringo, Ray Cooper...not bad. ;)
  11. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Ray Cooper also! Amazing lineup. Spinetti just blew me away though. Even Klaus Voorman (if I have that spelling right) plays bass on a tune or two... talk about 'back in the day' with both the Beatles and Clapton.
    Cappaldi (probably have that spelling incorrect also) of Traffic fame on drums toward the end. I believe he passed away shortly after that performance.

Really an emotional sort of experience watching that, for someone of my age who 'grew up' with all that music. Bill Preston is just an amazing voice on his instrument, and the history of Preston and the Beatles, with Paul and Ringo and George 's son on-stage, and Voorman playing, and Clapton... my gosh.