Concerts that you wish you could have gone to!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BboogieXVII, Feb 17, 2013.

1. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

2. Mr L

Mr L

When the arctic monkeys and black keys came to Vancouver last may I couldn't go cause I was away. Still punching myself for missing that.
  3. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Media:
    The day when the Eagles and the Phillies both played at home and Pearl Jam closed down the Spectrum (a staple for live concerts for anyone in the Philly area). All these stadiums are basically right next to each other. I would've killed to be there just for the tail-gating.
  4. SR Addict

SR Addict

I got screwed out of seeing Pantera when I was in 10th grade (13+ years ago now)... They never came around again after that, and unfortunately I'll never get a chance to see them ever again, obviously.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I have the all-time great for this.

Wednesday, April 13, 1977. I am in eighth grade. I wear KISS T-Shirts to school all the time, and get a lot of flack for it. (it was NOT cool to wear a KISS T-Shirt to my school in 1977.) On Tuesday, April 12, Led Zeppelin played a somewhat lackluster show at the Met Center, but because they sold out so quickly, they booked a second show Wednesday at the acoustically superior St. Paul Civic Center. The cool kids went. I did not. It was the last time Led Zeppelin ever came to the Twin Cities. It was considered a pretty good late Led Zeppelin show.

Here's the setlist:

The Song Remains the Same
    Sick Again
    Nobody's Fault But Mine
    In My Time of Dying
    Since I've Been Loving You
    No Quarter
    Ten Years Gone
    Battle of Evermore
    Going to California
    Black Country Woman
    Bron-Y-Aur Stomp
    White Summer/Black Mountain Side
    Kashmir
    Moby Dick
    Guitar Solo
    Achilles Last Stand
    Stairway to Heaven
    Encore:
    Rock and Roll
    Black Dog

I had seen my first concert, KISS, with opening act Uriah Heep at the Met Center on Sunday, February 6th, 1977, and my opinion was, "no way could Led Zeppelin top THAT concert!"

I was fourteen. Give me a break.
  7. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

I passed up an opportunity to catch a concert on U2's Zoo TV tour in the early 90s. That still stings.

Also, twice I had tickets to see Sting come to my hometown to play - once my seats were basically front row centre - and both times he cancelled the concerts. I wish those concerts had gone ahead as planned!

Somehow I missed out on the Barenaked Ladies when they were touring Canadian university venues in the early 90s, not sure how that happened, but I consider that a regret as well.

I'm sure I could remember more if I tried, those are just the ones off the top of my head.
  8. GLEN18INCHSPICA

GLEN18INCHSPICA

My 4 closest & myself all had good seats for Deep Purple when thet were touring for the Perfect Strangers record, Ritchie Blackmore injured his wrist & the show was cancelled, saw them a year or so later with Aerosmith & GNR in 1988? I went to the city, "NYC" to see Type O negative when October Rust was fairly new with two friends spur of the moment, didnt have tickets & scalpers werent an affordable option this particular nite, so we carried on. I believe we managed to have a good time nonetheless, that would be the one show that got away from me.
  9. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

mellowinman...... He is Rain Man. Best. Memory. Ever. Period.
  10. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

I was a freshman at Arizona state University and a friend offered to give me a FREE ticket to see the Who playing at the football stadium, I regret that I passed on the ticket and went to hang out with my first "real" collegiate gf. Oh the agony!
  11. gr8bassplayer

gr8bassplayer

Missed Wooten by a week...
  12. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

Allman Brothers Fillmore East concert. I was just getting into good music then, and one of the local NYC FM stations were giving them some airplay. I was a Junior in HS, and not quite up to going to shows until the next year. By then Duane was no more. :bawl: Though I did see them jammin with The Dead at Gealic Park in '72. :cool: Not bad for a first big live concert.
  13. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

The Who played here in Columbus, Ohio right after TOMMY came out, probably '68 or '69. I didn't go because at age 16, I didn't drive and I didn't have the money for the $7 ticket!

They played at Veteran's Memorial Auditorium which only seats around 1,500! To this day, I still am haunted at missing them! It's the single most important show that I missed!

Never been to a Dead concert either and I feel badly about that.

Missed Hendrix too................at Vets.

"I was born a poor white child."

But..................I did get to see CREAM (Eric Clapton) in '68.
  14. FilterFunk

FilterFunk

James Brown came to my town (Sacramento, CA) in the early '80s. Memorial Auditorium; where I did see Bootsy's Rubber Band in 1978 (AWESOME SHOW!!!). The newspaper reviewer said JB tore down the house, which was only about half full. How could I have missed James Brown...:atoz:
  15. bassinplace

bassinplace

I think Zep is the better band of those two, but based on a lot of the live recordings I've heard, I think the chances might of been good that the Kiss show actually was better, imo.
  16. bassfran

bassfran

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    Back when I was a pup, an uncle of mine became friendly with someone that was, unbeknownst to me, a big cheese with the local concert promoters. I met said person on one occasion and our conversation went something like this...

Him- "So, I hear you like music."
    Me- "Yeah- I like___, and ___, and ___, etc.."
    Him- "That's great. Would you like to go and see Pink Floyd next month? I can give your uncle tickets to the show."
    Me- "Pink Floyd? They're ok. I really like ___, and ___, and ___."

It was the "Animals" tour.
    Forgive me-I was all of 13. :bawl:
  17. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

The one that started it.

Beatles, 1964, Washington Coliseum.

[​IMG]
  18. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

I was in 8th grade the last time The Beatles toured. Parents wouldn't have it, so my friends went without me. I would have liked to have seen the first performance of Beethoven 9th. And the opening of "Rite of Spring" could have interesting.
  19. bassinplace

bassinplace

Historically, yeah, it would have been great to see. From a logistics point of view though, that show looked like a total nightmare. It's uncomfortable just to watch, imo.
  20. 4001

RUSH: Moving Pictures tour 7/4/81 Alpine Valley Music Theater, East Troy, WI.

I had already seen them on that tour 3/1/81 in Chicago at the old International Ampitheatre but mom wouldn't let me go to Wisconsin to see them. I was 14, almost 15 at the time but she didn't want me going with the people that I would have went with. I still grind my teeth into powder thainking about that missed opportunity.
  21. bassinplace

bassinplace

I saw Rush on the Grace Under Pressure tour, my 2nd show ever. That was great, but Moving Pictures would have really been something. Saw 'em again on the next tour for Power Windows, also.