1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Condo Cab Suggestion

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by FunkyMcNasty, Feb 2, 2013.

1. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty Supporting Member

I am looking for advice on an in-home cab for practice and tune learning. I have larger stuff for playing out, but am looking for something to play in my condo. I live on the third floor and often find myself working out new tunes at 11:00 p.m. or so and want something with some punch but that is also clear. The deal is that I like to have something that stays put in my house that is not a gigging/practice cab. I want something capable of loud volumes, but that also sounds good low.
    Whatever it is, it will be paired with a TH500. I have recently had an Aguilar DB112 filling this role, and while they are some of the best cabs that I have ever heard, at low volumes they don’t have the clarity that I am looking for. They are great for a gig. They get super loud and have a punch and growl like no other. At low volumes they sound “muffled” IMO. So the other day I picked up a Phil Jones 6t cab and while it was probably the clearest thing I have ever heard, it lacked that air moving fatness that I have grown accustom to using the aggie and genz stuff. The PJB also had its own unique tone that just doesn’t please my ears. I am thinking maybe a 210 cab, maybe something a little more modern sounding than the Aggie, but maybe another 112 with different voicing. Maybe an Acme 112 full range, a bergantino 112 or 210, I don’t know. What I don’t want is combo suggestions or suggestions of just what you play in your home without experience with other cabs. Thanks in advance.
  2. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Th500 have a headphone out? Seems a good set of cans would be more sensible in your situation. I Picked up a nice little Yamaha mixer on eBay for cheap, that would give you some options if you want to run anything else with it.
  3. dincz

dincz

A pair of low power 1x1s strapped either side of your head
  4. FunkyMcNasty

Thanks, but not really looking for headphone recommendations. I'm looking for cab recommendations.
  5. Big Mike Ipp

Big Mike Ipp

Honestly...I would recommend a Zoom B3 with headphones (or any preamp with phones out). I know you're looking for cabs but hear me out, I currently live in a condo/townhouse, I've lived in condos and apartments since college (7 years now). I quickly learned my gig rig would cause all my neighbors to simultaneously call the cops, so I tried to go the micro and mini-rig route, and went with a 1x12 cab (Avatar). While it sounded great, at lower volumes I almost liked my 4x10 better. Alas, it was still too loud for my neighbors and I pretty much never got any practice in outside of band meetings. I even bought a small vox bass amp for practice, and still had issues with the neighbors. I was reluctant to make the jump to headphones for a long long time, however after a year of sitting on the idea and watching my woodshedding time diminish, I decided to check out getting the B3 and some high end headphones...and I'm totally blown away. I was reluctant to do the phones and fought it tooth and nail, but now that I made the move, I'm honestly in tone nirvana and I can practice all night (and day) and never disturb anyone around me. Headphones have made any time of day acceptable to play and my practicing has taken on a new dimension and intensity because of this. I hope this may cause you to sway a little bit, if not, hope you find the cab you're looking for! Good luck with your search!
  6. FunkyMcNasty

Thanks for your input. I am still not looking for headphones though. Pissing off the neighbors is no my concern. The people downstairs play musical instruments and have a loud dog, so they never complain to me about the bass. I am looking a cab that sounds good at low volumes.
  7. Big Mike Ipp

Big Mike Ipp

Well, why must one find a cab for low volume if high volume does not tick off the neighbors? :smug:
  8. FunkyMcNasty

I try to be a considerate neighbor regardless of their tolerance for bad bass playing. I also have a wife in nursing school whose always studying, and a young child that is often sleeping after 8:00 or so. I also don't prefer loud volume when I am just practicing, but I also don't want to wear headphones. I am thinking about pulling the trigger on that berg AE112 in the classifieds and giving that a try.
  9. FunkyMcNasty

I also know that there are a lot of speakers out there these days with 12's or 10's that also have mids and tweets in the same cab. I imagine that cabs like that would give a better, clearer sound at reasonable volumes.
  10. Astreaux

Astreaux

11. mystic38

mystic38

any sort of 10's or 12's will do..
  12. FunkyMcNasty

Oh, well thanks for that.
  13. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Along with the speaker suggestions, decoupling it from the floor will help out from annoying the neighbors I would think. Something like a Auralex gramma pad. I practice through studio monitors with soft amps, i really dig that.
  14. FunkyMcNasty

15. bassramos

bassramos Supporting Member

Gk mbe 112 is great at low volumes
  16. Road Bull

Road Bull Supporting Member

That is what I was thinking about. By isolating it a bit from sending vibrations through the structure of the house, you eliminate a lot of annoying vibrations that cause neighbors to take notice. To a degree, people can tolerate a bit of volume. Depending on how much sound travels in your living situation, people put up with a little extra TV volume, explosions, and the occasional loud cackle. But when you are sitting around and working, eating, reading, and you hear extra volume paired with vibrating picture frames, cabinets and glassware, it tends to get people's attention.

I live in an apartment, and while I am not super quiet, I am not an A hole either. I have an Eden 410DXLT paired with a GB SM 9.2. I can't even bring it past the minimum volume to get the speakers to make sound without it being too loud.

What do I do? I either use headphones, OR I use the DI in my signal chain to lower the overall volume going into my amp. That has worked pretty well so far.

If you are simply looking for a dedicated new practice amp, I would find a couple of small contenders in the store with a good return policy, and bring them back to your place to test drive. Otherwise, you might just be taking a shot in the dark. I have been surprised to find out how good even an Eden 10" combo sounded. It looked like it was going to sound like it had all the bass of a Crate guitar amp from 1980, but I was pleasantly surprised. I am sure Mark Bass and others have similar offerings as well.

I would still lean more towards finding something you like and can use for other things and just getting a D.I. to draw down the volume a bit more than your amp might let you.

Good luck.
  17. rpsands

rpsands

Just put a basslite S2010 in one of those parts express prebuilt boxes. Perfect for home use.
  18. FunkyMcNasty

Thanks for the recommendation.
  19. joe vegas

joe vegas

i can vouch for Seismic. they're great.
  20. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

Fletcher-Munson curves may have a say in this. ;) Given that, try a fEarful type of cabinet, probably a 112/6 variety from your favorite builder. My LDS 2126 (2-12/1-6½) sounds excellent at low volume level with good deep bottom and clear mids/highs that do not get muffled sounding at all.