Confessions of a Genz Benz Junkie. Shuttle 6.2 vs Streamliner 900 vs Shuttlemax 9.2

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Tunaman, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

Yeah I have a problem!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just picked up a GB Shuttle 6.2 for $359 @ Geartree when I sold my GK MB500 for $350 on craigslist... Couldnt pass up that deal.

The MB500 was a bit too hissy when not being played and a VERY aggressive amp which was not a good pairing for aggressive GK NEO 15s. The 6.2 Shuttle is warmer than the GK MB500 but I would still call it fairly aggressive. Volume wise these 2 are pretty equal & plenty strong enough to push the 2 15s.

The Shuttlemax 9.2 & shuttle 6.2 tonally are very close obviously. Deep but tight lows. VERY versatile amps, they can do warm & aggressive. . I'm VERY happy at the volume I'm getting out of the 6.2. Its a perfect small amp to throw in the gear bag for a backup to the 9.2max. I prefer both amps with GK NEO 12s which are more neutral than GK NEO 15s which have a ton of mid content I have to EQ out sometimes.

The 9.2 max with all the EQ, tone shaping pedal, 3 channels, is the best amp ever made PERIOD especially for a cover band who needs to get near the original artist tone in a hurry. The 9.2max is quieter when not playing (less hiss) at a similar volume

Streamliner... I was able to really A\B this with the shuttle back n forth. Clearly more "warm" & mid scooped for sure, less hiss & treble content. A FANTASTIC solution for cabs that have too much mid honk \ mid aggression such as these GK NEO 115s. Is not as versatile as either amp but does what it does better than the others... warm thick clean bass.

ALL amps: Aux in for playing music through the speakers or with headphones is clutch. The DI is clean, clear & hiss free with pre\post which is essential. Any amp without pre\post DI is an automatic fail in my book (I run pre). Build quality is fantastic, built like tanks.

vs the old 6.0 9.0 12.0: I had a 12.0 briefly. The low end was too grindy & it really didn't get super warm... kinda like the GK MB500. The new .2 versions are clearly an improvement in that department.

Genz Benz: Gonna miss you guys... Andy, Jeff... very helpful dudes & can't wait to see what you make happen in the future! Thanks for curing the amp gas! :hyper:
  2. el murdoque

el murdoque

so what's the confession?
  3. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

Very nice ! :)
  4. TinIndian

TinIndian

Sweet gear Tunaman! I love my Streamliiner and once I get some spare change in my pocket a Shuttle 6.2 or 9.2 is on the hit list!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. j0616bass

j0616bass

My last four amp purchases have been Genz. Started with the NeoPak, then swapped it for a Shuttlemax 6.2, then swapped that for 9.2 which I still have. Finally I picked up a Streamliner 900 recently around Christmas. Couldn't be happier with them.
  7. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

I know the feeling. I have two Shuttle 9.0s (one for everyday use and one for a backup). I have an Uber 410 cab. And I also have a Contour 500 115 combo amp with a 115 extension cab. Love me some Genz-Benz. I sure hate that it is no more.
  8. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

Problem? I don't see any problem. ;)
  9. Black Sheep

Black Sheep Supporting Member

Is this a support group?
    I admit to having a nice trio of GB amps, also...
    Shuttle 3.0 I really like this amp. I mostly use for upright work and occasional electric bass with my custom single 10" cab.
    Shuttle 6.2 - sweet amp.
    ShuttleMax 12.2 (oh, and I still have my SM12.0 so that might be 4) - I just go the .2 and I love having two channels and EQ options, good for having two basses on stage.
  10. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

This is not a problem, but a solution!
  11. emdsd

emdsd Mongo only pawn in game of music! Supporting Member

Hi, my name is Steve, and I too am a Genz Benz addict! Started with a GBE250C in 2000, got a used GBE500H a couple years ago when I wanted more power and just picked up a used Shuttlemax 9.2 a couple months ago to go with my fEARful 15/6. Surely sorry to see the brand end, but I shouldn't be needing anything more for a while!?? (Famous last words!)
  12. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Same confession. I've been all over the map with amps in the last 4 yrs - sticking with my two favorites, Streamliner 900 and Shuttle 6.2.

Great amps, hope they last forever (or at least until Agedhorse starts working wonders at Mesa)....
  13. Warwick Qc418

Warwick Qc418 Supporting Member

I confess

Big fan of the cabs too

Attached Files:

14. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

this is a guy with a serious disease.....
  15. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

I like where this thread is going! ha ha. Great pics guys!
  16. Funkdified

Funkdified

I just picked up a 12.2max this morning new for 645.00. I wanted a 9.2max but can't find them anywhere near that price. It will look nice right next my SL 900.

Great products, gone to soon.
  17. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

I picked up a Streamliner 900 to go along with my SM 9.2 and I am loving both amps. The Streamliner is perfect for gigs where a solid, thick, tube-esque tone is all you need, while the SM is great for gigs where more tonal variations are needed.

It's still hard to decide for some gigs which amp will be better. The DI tone is excellent, too, live recordings of my bass have never sounded better.
  18. j0616bass

j0616bass

I am running into that problem too! Good problem to have!
  19. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

I have a Shuttle 9.2 but I am jonesin' for a streamliner... Just a taste they said...
  20. bassfuser

bassfuser Supporting Member

I have a GBE600, Shuttlemax 9.2 and 2 Streamliner 900s. Picked up the 2nd Streamliner recently. I originally bought the 9.2 for a backup to the Streamliner but I prefer the latter. I mainly use the 9.2 as a practice amp.

The GBE600 is kind of the forgotten guy right now, but it's obvious the build quality is superb.

I've never checked out the Genz cabinets. I just have too many other cabs to justify getting any others. But I guess I could say the same for the amps.
  21. TheRealKong

TheRealKong

This is my church! ;)