1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

configuration for bass cabinet and amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by torrid, Mar 8, 2014.

1. torrid

torrid

Stats: GK-MB500 (500 Watt head)
    300 watt / 8ohm Bass Cabinet with only 1 plug.
    ----------
    Symptom: I've played a couple of shows where the amp clipped out and it took several minutes to get sound to come back on. It is my uneducated guess that the bass cabinet should handle more wattage than the head.

Novice Question: If I bought another 300 watt / 8 ohm cabinet with 2 plugs in the back and line it out to the first cabinet, would that be a solution to my clip / overload problem?

Please share some wisdom:)

2. orangejulius3

orangejulius3

Can you give more details?

like, what type of bass? active, passive or both?
    Any pedals before the amp?
    what are your settings for the amp?
    Are you using speakon cable or speaker cable for the cab?

my suggestions to trouble shoot:
    try a different bass.
    remove all pedals or effects, run straight to amp.
    try a different speaker cable.

3. Rob22315

Rob22315

The mb500 isn't 500 watts into 8 ohms, its more like 350. You can run a second cab straight from the amp so you don't have to daisy chain the cabs. Get speak on cables, at least for the amp end.

Do you have the limiter turned on? That should keep the amp from actually clipping and lessen the chance that you're overheating it. The limiter is the little switch on top of the amp.

Does the fan come on? If not, you may have a busted fan. A few folks have had problems with these units shutting down and had to send them back to the factory. You could call GK and see what they recommend. See if you can find one of the threads describing the symptoms.

4. torrid

torrid

Re: O.J.
    Can you give more details?
    like, what type of bass? active, passive or both?
    *** All basses are active
    Any pedals before the amp?
    *** Boss pedal tuner / sometimes wireless
    what are your settings for the amp?
    *** Funk setting (Slight smile EQ - Up on the low end, low on the mid, back up on the highs)
    Are you using speakon cable or speaker cable for the cab?
    *** Speakon

my suggestions to trouble shoot:
    try a different bass. (Done)
    remove all pedals or effects, run straight to amp. (Done)
    try a different speaker cable. (Done)
    **** The overload thing happens randomly. I had the amp serviced and they said light weight amps are finiky in general because they do not build them the heavy power transformers inside.
    <<<< @ Rob22315:
    Limiter is not activated. Don't know if the fan comes on during the performance. Sorry, I thought it was 500 watts because of the model name. My question to you is, because the cabinet has a lower wattage rating than the head, does it make a difference if I even add another cabinet to compensate overloading? If so, would daisy chaining make a difference opposed to plugging both cabs into the amp?
    Thanks and hopes the additional data helps")

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lz4005

lz4005

Find a new service person who knows how to work on class D amps. That person has no idea what they're talking about.

If you add another cabinet you'll be operating at lower ohms, working the amp harder and making it more likely to overload or overheat.