:confused: Help me to choose a bass amp :help:

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bullracing, Jan 28, 2013.

1. bullracing

bullracing

Hi guys, Im new at this site and I have just a month playing the bass, I used to play the guitar since a long time, untill I met the BASS GUITAR :D.
    I get a Wash burn 4 string bass of 2 digital pickups, and when I play at home with some guys I cant listen my self when they play the drums, I use a marshall avt that has an speaker of 10 inches, but I now that a guitar amp isn´t the same than a bass amp, and don´t want to blow it up, so thats why I post this, I need help to chose a bass amp, and the problem is that I don´t now anything about them, all look the same for me.

I love marshall guitar amps, they sound asome and they are too noisy, out of that, they have a lot of prestige and they look good, thats why I love them. And I see that there is a bass amps series by marshall , I see that they are not as expensive as gutar amps, but Ive never seen one at the stage, and I don´t now anybody that use them, or even now about the sound of them.

I want to buy a Mb 30 of marshall, but, I see that peavey has a little bigger one at the same price: 200 dls.

so Im too confused, I see a lot of bass amps and I don´t now wich will be better, so please help me and recomend me some of they.

Im. not looking for the most expensive amp, I cant pay more than 220 dls. I only need it to practice at home, not too bigg to blow my house, but big enouhg to listen my self while they are playing the drums.

2. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

The MB30 will not be enough to play with a drummer. What Peavey model is it? You need two things for bass: 1) Power (watts) a lot more than for guitar. 2) Speaker area. 1 10" is a tough job to be heard with drums and electric guitar playing.

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Where are you? Are you in the US? Your english makes me think you are not a native speaker.

If you ARE north american look for used Peavey, Carvin, or Acoustic if it has one speaker it has to be a 15" if you want to compete with a band. Ideally you want a 410 assuming the guitar player has a stack as well and the drummer hits hard.

4. bullracing

bullracing

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bullracing

bullracing

please recomend one, and tel me why I should go for it

Thanks by replying.

7. B-string

Go for the Peavey. Peavey is more honest with their power ratings, rated with a little more power than the Marshall and the Peavey has a larger better speaker.

I am not sure either amp will give the volume you need though.

8. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

You mention that you need it for practice by yourself at home, but loud enough to hear yourself while they are playing drums.

Are you looking to play with an actual live drummer, or just play along with CD's/MP3's/etc in your bedroom?

9. BuffaloBass

BuffaloBass Supporting Member

Dont sweat the grammer; our language is more universal here!

Get into a 100w amp minimum if you want to mix with drums. Does PV still make the TNT? 100w X 15" It is what I would consider the smallest for any band mix. You can get a used TNT here in the states for the same price as that new 35 watt deal.

You will find a few 100w combo amps by Acoustic, Ampeg etc around.

Always remember, your bass needs more watts than a guitar by about 3X.

10. bullracing

bullracing

Ok, now I have a better idea of what i need. Igues that peavey could be better than the marshall, I was takinng a look to thee EQ of each one and I realice that marshall has a bass boost, im not sure if that will give more power, as I menttion, Im not pretending to blow my house, even to use it for a live performance, it would be just my monitor not the main speaker. The place a play with my friends its no bigger than a room of 6 x 5 mts. So i gues i dont need more than a speaker of 10"?

Again, thanks by replying.

11. bullracing

bullracing

So.. i should go for the peavey?

12. B-string

The bass boost without the power or speaker to use it means nothing (no magic extra power it is just a gimmick). If you like the looks of Marshall just get it. We have already told you the Peavey is your better bet. :)
    It does not make any sense to ask for help and ignore it, but happens here all the time. ;)

13. bullracing

bullracing

Thanks b-string, and all of you guys, i will go for th peavey, may your were right b-string i like marshalls xD thats why i opened this post, thanks to much to all of you

14. B-string

Remember "looks" are nice, but you can't play through looks alone :)

15. corndog

corndog Supporting Member

You may want to hold out for the new Peavey Max 112. it has 200 watts, compared to 35 watts of the older version you are looking at. It retails for $250, a little more than you want to spend, but its a huge step up in wattage.

16. bullracing

bullracing

ohh,its asome I guess I can wait a little more and get some extra money xD

17. bassgod0dmw

That depends how loud you need to be so you can hear yourself. A single 10" speaker isn't much.

+1

35w into a single speaker? I wouldn't be able to use that playing with other people, especially a drummer.

Do you have any options for getting used gear? You would be able to find something much more robust for your money.

18. danloc78

danloc78

19. Hyperstatik

Hyperstatik

Hi there, just wanted to throw my 2 cents in.

Yesterday I actually ending up returning that exact same Peavey you are talking about after trying to use it for about a month. I really didn't like it for a number of reasons. First off the tone of this amp, when compared to an acoustic combo is horrible. None of the controls seem to do much to effect it, and good luck trying to use the effect loop. Second, even when I cranked this thing (gain and volume are combined :/) to past 10 it didn't get that loud at all. Certainly not what I'd consider loud enough to play with a full stack guitar and/or drums. The "voicings" that it supposedly has sound exactly the same, and again, do not effect the bland tone. And also it weighs about 50 lbs (not kidding).

Now the one that I had, and the one you linked to, is/are the older Max 112, there's a newer model out I guess and it has alot more features, better stuff, etc. However I have demoed it has well and there wasn't a huge difference between them.

Anyway, I'm not trying to bash Peavey, but I think you could get a way better setup from Acoustic. The 100w ministack is pretty cool (and sounds great!)

20. bassgod0dmw

Unless you are using something that is designed to go into an FX loop (usually line level rack gear, not pedals), the results are never going to be great. Doesn't matter if it's a $200 amp or a $2000 amp.

21. bullracing

bullracing

Here were i live people or sellers of used stuff are kind of crazy, they sell amps like new in bad state, i mean just whit 50 more bugs you get somthing new, theyar to expensive, and its used.