1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Confused. Interface or Amp?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by bassgreek, Dec 2, 2012.

1. bassgreek

bassgreek

Hey guys i just got a fender american special p-bass, have a macbook pro and i have the following queries:

I am between of buying a good amp
    or an interface with monitors and install the ampeg svx software?

For the interface part i dont know also if i should buy some special kind of monitors due to bass low frequency?

If i buy a small amp (eg ampeg BA108) Can I buy the interface and plug it in to amplifiers( so not buying monitors)

Pls help me!
  2. KrisHayes

KrisHayes

Are you looking to record or just jam at home?
  3. bassgreek

bassgreek

both
    I just don't wanna disturb the neighbours
  4. seamonkey

seamonkey

5. bassgreek

bassgreek

ok interface
    but hear from where?
    Pc speakers that i have (2.1)
    or do i have to buy monitors too?
  6. nick98338

nick98338

I both record and practice using an interface and headphones. I have good speakers, also, but I don't use them for practice. I just use them for recording.
  7. jmclearnon

jmclearnon

i have a motu ultralite MkIII and it has the possibility of 8 output channels...

Its useful even with an amp live because i can have 2 basses and a cello plugged in with EQ and only the basses going through my amp.

Going the interface route can be quite expensive however
  8. M Sterling

M Sterling Supporting Member

+1 on the motu ultralite. It is a versatile, awesome little box.
  9. BZadlo

BZadlo

I got a Apogee Duet on Craigslist for $200. I don't notice any latency with it at all.
    If you want to get that feel of a real amp, you need to get a good interface. Too much latency will ruin the fun.
  10. father of fires

father of fires Supporting Member

You don't have to buy monitors if you just want to hear yourself. If you want a more realistic amp sound you'll need some decent monitors (Yamahas and KRK's) and a good amp sim software.

I would also suggest some decent-ish headphones. Some of them can have great bass response.
  11. jmclearnon

jmclearnon

lol would love to hear my cheap computer speakers play my B string at full volume lol
  12. oniman7

oniman7

If your speakers are decent, you will not need monitors for jamming at home. However, they will increase your sound clarity and quality.