Confusing Tone Pot sweep(Jazz Wiring)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by heavyfunkmachin, Jan 16, 2013.

1. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

AFAIK... best results for Jazz bass pots are linear volumes and audio taper (log) tone pot, this is supoused to give a nice volume sweep when playing clean uncompressed sounds and a usefull tone range.

Last night I re-did the wiring on a jazz bass, I tried a 500k pot in volume position, it was supoused to be an audio taper pot as described by the ebay seller as I later checked, to find out that most of the volume was in the final 8-10 turn instead of evenly distributed.

"OK, dumb me, this is an audio/log volume pot" so it's uneven in volume, let's use it for the tone pot. But to my surprise, when wired as a tone pot most of the highs reduction happens in the first 0-2 range!!

What's going on?
    A suppoused audio/log pot gives uneven volume (volume jump from 8 to 10) AND uneven tone (Brightness jump, from 0-2 it works, but from 2 to 10 it does little or nothing for the tone sweep) :confused:

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    What brand pot is it? A lot of audio or log taper pots are not really log taper, but a composite of linear tapers. Some brands are better than others.

Also look at the pot and see if it says A500K or B500K (A=Audio, B=Linear).

3. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

It's a chinese pot from ebay :bag: no marking other than 500k...

But what I find confusing is that it behaves as an audio pot when used as volume and like a linear when used as tone pot