1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Confusing Tone Pot sweep(Jazz Wiring)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by heavyfunkmachin, Jan 16, 2013.

1. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

AFAIK... best results for Jazz bass pots are linear volumes and audio taper (log) tone pot, this is supoused to give a nice volume sweep when playing clean uncompressed sounds and a usefull tone range.

Last night I re-did the wiring on a jazz bass, I tried a 500k pot in volume position, it was supoused to be an audio taper pot as described by the ebay seller as I later checked, to find out that most of the volume was in the final 8-10 turn instead of evenly distributed.

"OK, dumb me, this is an audio/log volume pot" so it's uneven in volume, let's use it for the tone pot. But to my surprise, when wired as a tone pot most of the highs reduction happens in the first 0-2 range!!

What's going on?
    A suppoused audio/log pot gives uneven volume (volume jump from 8 to 10) AND uneven tone (Brightness jump, from 0-2 it works, but from 2 to 10 it does little or nothing for the tone sweep) :confused:
  2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    What brand pot is it? A lot of audio or log taper pots are not really log taper, but a composite of linear tapers. Some brands are better than others.

Also look at the pot and see if it says A500K or B500K (A=Audio, B=Linear).
  3. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

It's a chinese pot from ebay :bag: no marking other than 500k...

But what I find confusing is that it behaves as an audio pot when used as volume and like a linear when used as tone pot