1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Confusion on Ibanez 5 string scale

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FloridaTim, Dec 17, 2013.

1. FloridaTim

FloridaTim

Went to several stores to check out 5 strings. For the most part I was stumbling over my own fingers all day. Thought it might just be too much work to make the transition.

Then I picked up a used Ibanez at Sam Ash labelled "GSR 205". Within seconds I was playing smoothly. I held it face to face with another bass and the scale was shorter. I knew I wasn't buying that day, so I filed the info in my head and went home.

Here is my problem: The ibanez website says those basses are 34 inch scale. Was this not a GSR 205? It had 2 pickups and, I believe, 4 knobs.

Just want to know if it was a shorter scale or string spacing that made this one bass easier for me to play.

BTW, can't just drive back to check it out. Over an hour away and I have plans today. Won't have free time for a week or two.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. JustForSport

JustForSport

When you're able to, look at back of headstock- model # is at top. It (if stock) should be 34" scale.
    Could be that "thin and fast" SR neck that they're known for...

3. Immigrant

Immigrant

I think all SRs are 34". It was a combination of scale length and tight spacing that convinced you that it played to your liking. I drank that Koolaid once and later realized I like nearer to conventional spacing and a meatier neck to fondle.

4. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Sam Ash isn't well known for correct labeling ability. Maybe it was a 5 string mikro?

Did it look like this?
    Mikro[​IMG]

Or like this?
    GSR205[​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FloridaTim

FloridaTim

Or like this?
    GSR205[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Looked like this one.

Maybe, as Immigrant said, it was just the spacing. But, Easier to play=Easier to play, right. Doesn't really matter why it was easier.

7. Draculea

Draculea

I don't think the scale length was shorter, but rather the fretboard. GSRs have 22 frets, while SRs have 24. Fenders usually have just 20 frets, that doesn't make scale shorter, just fewer frets, that's all. Hope that's what the OP is wondering.

8. javadog

javadog Supporting Member

9. verycoolname

verycoolname

This may be a stretch, but maybe the other five-strings you played were 35 inch scale?

It's more likely it was a mislabeled Mikro, like 3234718 mentioned above.

10. Chico16

Chico16

SR's are popular for having a thinner neck therefore less spacing between strings. This could be why you were able to play this bass much smoother.

11. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

^ Yes, and GSR's are 34" scale.

12. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

Ibanez 5'ers are usually easier to play. While you tried the GSR205, I would also recommend trying the SR305 which I think you'll even find has a slightly thinner neck.
    GSR = Ibanez Gio Soundgear Line
    SR =SoundGear Line

13. Chico16

Chico16

Yep the SR is above the GSR on the Ibanez line up. As it's been stated above, if you compared it to another bass (and you're absolutely sure that other bass wasn't a 35") then it was most likely not an Ibanez GSR or SR. Never been to Sam Ash but I've heard the same thing that they don't exactly specialize on labeling