Conklin GT4?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Snarf, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Snarf

Snarf

What's the consensus on the GT4? I'm trying to sell my Carvin and pick one of these up in its place. How's the construction and neck stability? How well balanced do the pickups and preamp sound? I'm told the electronics on the GT4 are different from the GT5 and 7, which is partly why I'm posting this, since the GT4 gets very little air time here. Basically this bass will be used for funk (pizzacato and slap) and fusion (which actually sometimes meanders into latin and swing, which I have a P bass for anyway), if I get it.

Edit: Also, how does the string spacing compare to that of a Fender Jazz? Tighter, wider?

Thanks.
  2. Snarf

Snarf

Bump, could really use some info.
  3. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Okay, I have a red one. Mine has "Conklin" pups, which are akin to EMG's, but made by MightyMite (according to Bill Conklin). Some have Bartolini pups.

The wenge neck is really nice (I love wenge) with a jazz shape. Very good build quality, especially for the price point.

The one I have is super lightweight, and very bright/modern sounding to my ears.

The Sidewinder body style is unique and comfy, once you get used to it.

I thought I read somewhere that the Groove Tools line is being discontinued, dunno.
  4. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works/Barker Bass
    Yup, the Groove Tools line is discontinued. You can still get some of the GT basses at some outlets, but nothing new being built.

Sorry, don't know much about the GT4's .... I have a GT7 which is very cool, though .......... :cool:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Snarf

Snarf

Coolness, build quality is key for me. As for the brightness of tone, is it possible to dial in something akin to a nice throaty bite at all? I'd like the bass to be somewhat versatile, but modern is good too.
  7. Snarf

Snarf

One last bump for good measure. So fairly versatile or not? Am I just going to be hearing a bunch of nasally clacking, or can I get something throatier?
  8. dorfmeister

dorfmeister

I am new here and I am looking at a GT-4. Any new thoughts on this bass?

I am a longtime guitarist looking to start working on my bass skills.
  9. Rocketpriest

Rocketpriest

If the GT4 is anywhere near as good as the GT7, you'll like it fine. Although I think it will be a step down from a Carvin. Guess it really depends more on taste. I wasn't too enamoured of the Bartolini electronics in the GT7 I got to play though - maybe the MightyMite stuff is better.