1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Connecting VTBP-201s to Power Amplifier

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by londonbasshead, Jan 12, 2014.

1. londonbasshead

londonbasshead

I would like to connect a recently acquired Demeter VTBP-201s pre-amp to a Crown XLS-1000 power amp.

On the rear panel there are:
    2X unbalanced 1/4" outputs, as well as 1X balanced XLR output (or am I interpreting this incorrectly?)

How would I go about connecting the pre-amp to the power amp? (Do I need 2X runs of short 1/4" to 1/4", or 1X 1/4" to 1/4" only?). This is my first pre to power setup, and the pre-amp manual didn't contain the information I need, so any help would be appreciated.:bassist:

[​IMG]

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

I would use the unbalanced. I would use the XLR as a DI, since that's what it looks to be intended for (thus the ground lift on it as well as a pre/post eq switch).

3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Exactly. Run a 1/4" from the unbalanced out to the DriveCore's channel A "Link / Out" jack. With few exceptions, the XLR out is intended for use as a DI and only a DI. I've read where folks have attempted to connect the pre's XLR out to the power amp's XLR in...the results are rarely satisfactory.

Riis

4. londonbasshead

londonbasshead

I notice there are two outputs underneath the label 'unbalanced line out' - do both of these outputs serve the same purpose, or should I be choosing one over the other?

Still somewhat confused, sorry :meh:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

It makes no never-mind...use either. You could run two separate lines to two amps if desired. Just use a shielded 1/4" T/S instrument / signal cable. Nice pre...enjoy!

Riis