Consecutive serial numbers: cool or not really?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dgt49ers, Dec 17, 2013.

1. dgt49ers

dgt49ers Supporting Member

Hey, looking for opinions... I have two 60th anniversary Fender American Deluxe Jazz basses with consecutive serial numbers. I am the original owner of one and acquired the other by chance off of an online auction site. I need to sell some equipment, so wondering if I should try to sell these as a pair for collector value or just sell them individually. I thought it was cool when I found the second one, but maybe I'm strange that way. Let me know what you guys think.

David

Attached Files:

2. Dmwphoto

Dmwphoto what does this light/\ do? Supporting Member

I can't imagine the odds of that happening (at least 1 in 6 million based on the SN

to your question, not sure that would matter enough for someone to buy both
  3. Humbled

Humbled Supporting Member

I think consecutive serial numbers are very cool, but I'm kinda OCD like that.

I don't know that it's adds to the value though, unless the guitars (or guns, or silver certificates, etc.) are considered fairly collectable on their own, however.
  4. RED J

RED J Play what you want how you want & quit arggerin ! Supporting Member

Cool, yes. Otherwise...?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

Ya, no extra value unless they were a couple of '60s maybe. But still, what are the odds!
  7. P Town

P Town Guest

If you hang on the these for 40, or 50 years, they may acquire some "collectors value".

The combined value will be double the value of either one, (if the condition of them are the same).
  8. millsbass5

millsbass5

I think it's pretty cool, actually. But, I think I'd rather have consecutive serial #'s on a couple of '59 Les Pauls.........
  9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Fun for you, for most people "meh". just a curiosity.
  10. elgecko

elgecko

I think that's pretty damn cool!
  11. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

If I were you I would play the lottery..hard.
  12. dStar

dStar Supporting Member

I would hold on to those basses and play the lottery big time!
  13. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

I would at least give it a shot selling them together. There are all kinds of people out there. And one just might be a bass player who goes crazy for these two and will pay you a little extra for them. If they don't sell together for a premium price you can always split them up and try again.

I think it's pretty cool but wouldn't buy them because of the serial numbers.
  14. dgt49ers

dgt49ers Supporting Member

Thanks to all who replied. Looks like the consensus is to a) try to hold on to them for a few decades and b) play the lottery...

Merry Christmas to all!
  15. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Supporting Member

The serial numbers don't work like that. IIRC the first letter is the factory, the second letter is the decade and the first digit is the year within that decade. So that serial # indicates they are 2006 models, with a number in the 36,000 range.

Sort of brings up an interesting question... it looks like they made at least 36,000 instruments in 2006. Do the serials for basses count separately from guitars? Are they consecutive from one model to another, or would the numbers be grouped for certain models - ie: model #'s 10,000-15,000 are blocked off for Jazz basses, etc...

Anyone have any insight into actual numbers of basses or guitars sold by Fender in a year?