Consensus of some top cabs for uprights?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by iualum, Jan 21, 2014.

1. iualum

iualum

What boxes seem to work well with uprights? EA Wizzy cabs get a bunch of love, don't they? What else?

Thoughts on 3015s or 3015LF/6ND410 with upright?

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Brubaker Guitars
    Glasstone Lil G works very well with upright. Unfortunately they're only available used at the moment.

3. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Euphonic Audio also made the EA VL 208, which was unfortunately discontinued. Some possible choices are the

Audiokinsesis TC 112 AF

Big E 4x5's

Ric

4. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Don Sibley

Don Sibley Supporting Member

7. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

I'll put in a plug for the single driver Crazy 8 model in case you are looking for an ultra-light rig. Since I got mine from Mike Arnopol my other speakers have been quietly gathering dust. Perhaps not the absolute loudest speaker ever, but a good clear sound goes a long way. I've used it quite successfully with big bands.

8. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Disclosures:
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    B1 and Crazy 8. Although there seem to be a lot of good options, these work beautifully for me and I have no interest in trying anything else.

9. powerbass

powerbass

+1 for Crazy 8

10. B String

B String Supporting Member

I've been very happy with the Baer ML112 box. Great doubling cab. Sounds great at low volume but takes a lot of volume if needed. The 6in speaker helps give great articulation to the upright in the right frequencies.

11. tyb507

tyb507

I agree that the Crazy8 is a wonderful cab for DB...I had a composite one built by Mike Arnopol, and I regret selling it. I'm running a Big E MAS85 (8x5") from Mike and I absolutely love it, though it's too big to haul to 75% of my gigs...If I had funds to spare I'd be seriously considering ordering a 2x5 from Mike, which I think is comparable to the Crazy8 in output, or maybe a 2x6. But if you're thinking about 15" speakers, perhaps an 8x5 would suit you...join this forum and poke around to start drooling over Big E stuff.
    http://forum.bigeloudspeakers.com/f18-bass-amp-cabs-upright-and-electric

A lot of people are loving Greenboy Audio's Fearless cabs for upright...everything from the F110 to the F215, depending on how big you wanna go. I've never tried them, but you can find a LOT of discussion on here and on the Greenboy forum.

12. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

13. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Glad you're digging them

Just wanted to mention since you were talking about the 85 being big. We've redone the 46. I didn't like the previous version as much with upright. We redesigned the speakers and changed to multiple cone mids. And a Ciare tweet. About the same volume as the 85 but smaller. 26 x 15 x 13 and about 40#. I LOVE the new one with upright. Similar volume to two 45's and not too much bigger than one. The 45 will be a tad better in terms of midrange clarity but the 46 is deeper and more powerful.

14. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    I think you need a few different cabs for different performance situations. I've been very happy with AI gear and augment mine with a EA MLine 12 for rooms that call for more oomph. I drive the EA with an AI head. I find the AI amp reproduces my acoustic without color and the M-Line adds an extra bit of warmth in the mid-low range without boominess. Depending on the room, I have sometimes found the AI a bit thin.
    In most rooms, a single 10-inch speaker is just fine, but for the past year+ I've been playing in a room regularly that recordings have revealed the AI to be a bit thin. For that room, I use an AI head, AI combo and a EA M-Line 12 driven from the AI head in parallel and get the sound I'm looking for in my recordings of the gig. Dry but full.
    Gotta add that AI's after-purchase support is 2nd to none. Rick Jones at AI is every buyer's dream. Fast, completely honest, and completely there to help, Rick Jones cannot be beat for servicing his equipment. And no, that's not my opinion. That's my experience with him. Buying through Golihur makes the purchase pain free.

15. Zoa

Zoa

fEARless. Especially if you want to get loud.

16. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    My Ibanez Promethean is a Beast.

17. tyb507

tyb507

Arnopol, you need to stop...my wife is starting to hate you.;)

18. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine

I try to tell my wife as little about Mike and his cabinets as possible. :)

19. tyb507

tyb507

"Honey, what's this $900 on last month's bank statement from?"

"I, uh....bass....Mike said...um......."

20. Monkey

Monkey

I really like my fEARful 12/6, powered by a Markbass LMIII. I use an FDeck Series 3 to tighten up the low end. This setup sounds great with my German flatback ply and a BassMax pickup.

21. neddyrow

neddyrow

No love for the EA 210? I've been thinking about getting one but after all these replies, not one mention. Anyone out there loving their EA 210?