Considering a Stingray - Should I?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Misterwogan, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Misterwogan

Misterwogan

I bought the pair below a few weeks ago and am very happy with both of them.

However, I am thinking of spoiling myself this Christmas with a third bass to keep these two company.

I've found myself being drawn to playing the music of my youth - 1970's Disco and Funk and thought that I should look at a Stingray or maybe Sterling.

Will a Musicman bass bring anything significant to my party, or do I have all the basses covered?

[​IMG]
  2. jlepre

jlepre

I think it would fill a void, but that's JMHO. Either an SR or ST would work for you.
  3. madbassplaya

madbassplaya Supporting Member

The SR would round out that collection nicely!
  4. Misterwogan

Misterwogan

Thanks, should I be looking at a single humbucker or HH configuration?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. punisher911

punisher911

The neck HB doesn't impress me on mine. I only use the bridge HB on my HH and of course my SR Classic only has the 1 HB.
  7. jlepre

jlepre

I've owned both the HH and single H, and in the beginning I thought the HH was better for me. I have since been using a single H, and it really has that signature SR sound. For some reason the placement of the PUPs in the HH misses that sweet spot slightly, but that's JMHO.
  8. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

A single H Stingray sounds pretty good to me, but I'm not a Jazz player (I do like Precisions tho).
  9. Musicman20

Musicman20

Try a HS if you dig the Fender single coil tine but you want a Ray tone as well. The H sounds identical on H, HS or HH to me...the variants will be wood and strings.
  10. Emibass

Emibass

Media:
    Albums:
    Beautyfull pair you have there. The jazz is simply gorgeous but I have a weakness for white basses.

A stingray is not my cup of tea. What I do see that´s missing is a fiver, unless is not your cup of tea.
  11. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    Pick up a SR5 H and you're complete.
  12. Misterwogan

Misterwogan

Definitely not my cup of tea - a five would spoil the disco vibe.
  13. tZer

tZer

I have a Jazz and a Stingray - I like them both. They have their own distinctive personalities and voices and I like having both because of that. Just when I consider selling one and just going with one or the other, I find that I can never decide which should stay and which should go. So both are still in my stable and there is no sign that either will be going anywhere soon.

Now I would like to add a P-bass to my collection...
  14. cybersnyder

Disclosures:
    Not if you're wearing bell bottom and a head band!!
  15. Misterwogan

Misterwogan

I fully understand about choice anxiety. The Jazz has to be number one for me, not least because looking at videos of my favourite songs - all of them, and do mean all of them; were recorded and performed with a Jazz Bass. Not a P in sight let alone a Stingray. Now I understand why. You can subtly pick the Jazz with your fingers and the mids and highs still come through the mix, this isn't possible with the Precision - that has to be hit hard to be heard and that's fine of course for Rock but not for Donna Summer.
  16. tZer

tZer

I agree that the Jazz bass is very versatile and probably would win if I were forced to choose. Fortunately I am not forced!

My first bass was a P and I miss it dearly! A P-bass has such a distinctively P sound which I can only describe as meaty! I can simulate a P sound with my Jazz by favoring the neck pickup - but there is still just something about the pure P sound that is so right, especially for good old classic rock and roll.

I will have one in the not to distant future, count on it.
  17. Misterwogan

Misterwogan

I bought my P almost exclusively for my Thin Lizzy covers and maybe some Blues.
  18. Misterwogan

Misterwogan

Hey - don't forget the Chest Wig!
  19. Musicman20

Musicman20

Its a fiver but shows the HS sounds the same as a H....

20. Musicman20

Musicman20

..and I ain't much of a slap player, but the Ray IS the slap bass tone....as well as punchy as hell for finger and pick.
  21. cybersnyder

Disclosures:
    I don't know... when I think of disco and the slap octaves, I always think of a P bass tone. Like the sample for "Men In Black" or the original "Forget Me Nots". Of course I'll probably find out now that it was recorded on a Rick.

(I'm just discussing, hope I'm not sounding argumentative. Text can always be read with different inflection.)