1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Considering selling/trading my Ampeg V5 - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Webtroll, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

I received an Ampeg V5 head from another TBer in a local trade but I'm not quite sure what to do with it. I've considered selling or trading it, but I have no idea what the value is. The head works; the only changes I've made are largely cosmetic. New knobs (only had 2 and one of those was in bad shape) and new feet (well, new to the amp, they're from an old Fender).

I use my Boogie D-180, and my backup to that is a Boogie Pulse 360. I also have an SVP-CL into a Crown XTi-2000 but now that I've used it in a band environment it lacks power. I checked the SN# and it is in the range when the outputs on them were too low. Worked fine with an Ampeg power amp I had, but can't push the Crown very well. I'll get that resolved by modding or using my RBI, but the bottom line is the Ampeg is basically my 3rd backup amp and thus under consideration for the chopping block.

I tried getting a value for it by searching completed listings for them on Ebay, but I wasn't able to find one. The V5 is basically an SVT-100 from what I understand, and not many were made. If you look at the picture linked at the top you can see that it doesn't have a SN#. I don't know if it was supposed to be stamped, or if it was a sticker that was peeled off.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Ya, I believe it went through a handful of resistor changes before it became the SVT-100 but it's the same amp. Unfortunately I don't know much about it, but resale value is likely not high as it was considered a pretty decent bass amp as the SVT-100 but did not please the market as a guitar amp.

3. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

Do you know if there's a list of the changes that need to be made for the conversion? I doubt it would sound any different, but it should make it more appealing. Or maybe it would sound different, I don't know.

4. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Being kind of rare makes it harder to put a value on it. Because of this prices can be all over the place. $350-$450. I've seen them going for less. I've seen them going for more.

It is a very nice, well designed 100W amp with 6550's and a good stiff power supply. It is not as sought after as a V4B for example which often is in the $450 and up range. It has a Fender type tone stack in it, not a James (aka Baxandall) which is common in other Ampeg amps. Some people prefer the classic Ampeg tone stage. It is closer to a Marshall or a Fender but different transformers make a difference in the performance of these amps.

Didn't Michael Anthony use an SVT-100 in VH?

5. Register to disable this ad