Considering this bass -- opinions please

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by BeSharp, Jan 11, 2013.

1. BeSharp

May 17, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    I'm thinking about buying this bass. I haven't played DB for many years so I'm looking to get back into it after 30+ years as a pro electric player.

I want a good bass that I'll appreciate now and into the future as I gain competence again. I don't want an intro level high school student model but I don't need a concert bass either.

What do you think of this as a starter (mostly going to play jazz)?

Here's the description from CL.

This European-made upright acoustic bass is gig-ready. It has a new set of Spirocore strings and a Realist transducer, and it comes with a like-new gig bag.

This instrument has a nice, big sound played either pizzicato or arco. The bass is in great condition, with no cosmetic problems; the fingerboard was refinished at David Gage about two years ago. $1000.

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2004
    If it isn't an ebony fingerboard, I would pass. I think there is a bass shop in or near Annapolis. Take it there for an evaluation before buying.

KUNGfuSHERIFF Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Upstate NY
  4. jnel

jnel Guest

Dec 19, 2012
    is that a crack in the heel of the neck?
  5. Sponsored by:

6. BeSharp

May 17, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Thanks guys. I'll read up on Roma basses. I appreciate the expertise. It seems like a fair price but I'll look at more info from the links you all provided.