1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Consignment items leaving the store unpurchased?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Axtman, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

I have been doing business with a guy who has a musical instrument shop. I have bought and sold a lot of stuff from him over the years. He has also sold a bunch of stuff of mine over the years.

Anyhow I had an amp of consignment with his store. A month or so ago I went into his shop as I do on occasion. I did not see my amp so I was happy that it has sold....or so I thought. "Bob" was not in the store at the time so I called him to ask him when I could pick up a check. Well "Bob" lent it to a buddy to try out with his band. Bob assured me that he would take full responsibility if something happened to the amp. "Bob" is a good guy and I know he would honor that statement. Still though I expressed my displeasure. Luckily the guy ended up buying my amp and it never came back to the store.

The other day I took a bass in for him to sell on consignment. He liked the bass a lot and asked me if he could play it at a gig in a month if it did not sell. Like a fool I said yes, but I will call him back tomorrow and say no.

There again I trust "Bob" and he is a friend, but I just don't like the idea of my stuff leaving his store unless there is money in my pocket.

What say you?

2. Kenner

Kenner

too late...you allowed the first time (amp)... and would look like a jerk the second time...besides....if somethin did happen to any gear lent...you have nothin to stand on...except "Bob's" word...

3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

That's just not cool.

4. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Kenner,

I did not "allow" him to lend out my gear. I never gave him permission and it was never talked about. "Bob" said the guy was really interested in the amp but would not buy it until he heard how it sounded with his band. The amp had been sitting in his shop unsold for a while, therefore I was not keeping close tabs on the amp.

The more I think about it the more I think that I am going to have a "no lend" policy on my gear. They can play it all they want at the store but it my stuff does not leave the building unless it is purchased.

If "Bob" has a problem with that then I will find another shop that consigns gear.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

That guy should have asked you if it was ok.

7. Kenner

Kenner

I'm comfy that you didn't...however, he might have figured that it's better to ask forgiveness than permission.... no shot meant at you.... I don't think you had any clue he'd do that... maybe ask him to borrow something he owns...preferably somethin spendy ... cause you know he can trust ya...

8. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Kenner,

No offense taken. I bet you are right. He probably figured that the guy would buy the amp and I would never be the wiser....since I don't stop in that often anymore.

It would be interesting to ask to borrow a vintage bass while he has my bass....and see his reaction. "Oh come on Bob! Don't you trust me?" ;-)

9. Kenner

Kenner

lol! atta boy \m/

10. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave

this^^^^

however....i have another take on it....the guy who "borrowed" it ended up buying it.

why not look upon this as "trying it out"? you wanted to sell it, the guy tried it out and bought it.

if you have a "no borrowing" policy, then you might lose sales.

i recommend you just tell the guy that you want to be called but in general don't mind if people try your equipment to see if they like it before buying it....as long as he is responsible for paying you if any is ever damaged, doesn't come back to the store etc.

[​IMG]

11. hgiles

hgiles

If it sells, then you should really have no issue with how the guy got it sold. In effect, you are hiring him to "sell" it for you. He also has assumed responsibility for the items. I really don't see your worry.

If something happens to the items while they're loaned out -- he's 'responsible' and should make good on it, if such a thing occurs.

12. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

I understand what your guys are saying. But I think it is just too risky. There is no control when items leave the store. Plus I know very few stores that will let you try before you buy. Would a used car salesman let you take a car home to "try it out"?

If the amp got broken then or stolen who is responsible? The store or the potential buyer? What if the item got damaged and the potential buyer claimed that the speaker was blown when he got the amp? OR the tear in the grille cloth was there? Now what?

I have also heard of guys borrowing vintage instruments/amps, stripping the valuable parts out and replacing with cheap junk parts then returning the instrument/amp. This is a common E-bay scam.

Anyhow it is just safer for the items to not leave the store.

13. fraublugher

fraublugher

Two words , gig tested.

Your gear is safer on stage than in a consignment shop.

GLWTS

14. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse

+1

You could also ask Bob to put it in writing that he's responsible for damage or loss.

Guitar Center has a 60 day return policy. Sell it on ebay and the buyer has 30 days to return it for full refund (PayPal rules). Unless you want to sell your stuff in person (via Craig's list) or here through the classifieds, I suspect you won't get a much better deal selling to the general public than you have already with Bob.

15. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave

obviously you are free to set whatever policies you want between you and bob...but i think you are putting your items at a serious disadvantage by being so inflexible.

Bob knows (or should know) his customers and as pointed out, big chain stores have a very liberal return policy....

having him call you and limiting (if you like) such "loans" to customers he knows would be the way to go (after all, what is to prevent BOB from taking off parts, replacing them with cheaper parts, etc.... other than his integrity?)

when i buy an amp or a bass or a guitar from GC, i tell them right up front that my son wants to try it out, and i will be bringing it back if he does not like it. never had a problem.

[​IMG]

16. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

You don't REALLY trust Bob. If you did, this wouldn't be a problem. You either trust him or you don't there is no such thing as "kinda trust" or "I trust him BUT". If you trust him, let him take the stinking bass out. That alone might get it sold. If this guy is a friend, you should have much bigger things on your plate to worry about. This should not make the list. Life is too short. Lighten up.

17. Volpe25

Volpe25

I fully agree that your stuff shouldn't be loaned/taken from the shop without your permission and if it is you should get in writing from Bob or whoever is loaning it that they will take responsibility for any damage just in case something does happen.

Thats understandable but the difference between that and the original post is that you are buying it not "borrowing" and bringing it back. As most shops have a return policy this isn't so much of a problem as by buying it you are essentially taking responsibility for it as if it gets damaged it shouldn't be eligible for return

18. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Volpe25,

You and me are on the same page. I bet if I walked into Guitar Center and asked to "try out" a bass at home that they would laugh at me. Actually they would say sure! What is your credit card number?

I trust Bob....I just don't trust some unknown stranger that "borrows" my equipment.

So should I let people on Craigslist "borrow" my gear before they purchase it?

BTW, I did let the drummer in my church band "borrow" my drum throne and "try before you buy". The difference here is that I know him and trust him. Also the throne is at church. I can't imagine him damaging it enough to reduce its value. I'm also not worried about it walking away since who steals drum thrones.

19. oniman7

oniman7

Tell them they can buy the amp for the gig and if it doesn't sound good they cab return it for full price minus a 10% rental fee

20. Landy67

Landy67 Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Did he just give it to some stranger that walked through the door, or was it a regular customer? If he's on the hook for the product, and you are letting him negotiate the price, I think you have to trust that he's working in the best interest of both of you. Remember, that on consignment the more he sells it for, the more he gets!