1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Constant dead E string problem

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RandomBox, Dec 28, 2013.

1. RandomBox

RandomBox

This has been an ongoing issue. Everytime I get a new pair of strings, they sound fine and punchy. But after a while the E string just sounds dull and flat, even when the others are still bright sounding.

This has happened with Rotosounds, TI flats, and D'addario roundwounds (happened only after a week on the D'addarios)

Is there any way to prevent this? I've tried cleaning the strings after everytime I play, and washing my hands before playing. But everytime its just the E string that sounds dead, none of the others.
  2. pfox14

pfox14

Have you tried adjusting the height of your PUPs? Maybe it's not the strings
  3. RandomBox

RandomBox

I've tried lowering the string closer to the pickups and it still sounds dull/not as bright.
  4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Tell us more about your string installation technique(s). Installing a good string on a bad set-up (including lack of witness points, poorly cut nut slot, etc) will kill your tone in no time.

Riis
  5. agent77

agent77 Tin Foil Hat Wearer Supporting Member

Are you playing a short scale?
  6. RandomBox

RandomBox

It happened on my rickenbacker, and it was professionally set up.
  7. RandomBox

RandomBox

Nope. A rick 4003, fender, and a fretless, all normal scale.
  8. markanini

markanini

Try some different brands, some manufacturers use a larger core wire for the Low E which causes tonal disparity to the rest of the set.
  9. RandomBox

RandomBox

I've tried 4 already, and moneys kinda tight so I can't keep switching strings.
  10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Ask your tech. FWIW, "professionally set up" doesn't hold a lot of water IMO. I've seen some real botch jobs.

The same questions that I posed earlier should be addressed when you take it back...or you can answer them yourself. You do change your own strings, correct?

Riis
  11. magic papa

magic papa Gold Supporting Member

Once I had 5 packs of Rotosound flats all with dead E. It was the strings, cos the next 5 packs were fine. So it does happen.

I doubt your setup would be so bad that would cause the E string to sound dead. Not sure if setup can do it at all.

You mentioned D'addarios, they can die pretty quickly, so I wouldn't be surprised here. The E string would be the first to go. Rotosounds can vary, but flats go quite dull after a few days of playing (that's why Steve Harris always puts a fresh pack). So if you want a zingy sound from them you'll be up for some expenditure.

Are you sure that what you are observing is abnormal? The E string is usually not as bright as the others possibly due to a different core as markanini pointed out.

Have you tried different bass or different amp?
  12. bigbottomend

bigbottomend

I use Elite Stadiums now because i had quality issues with rotosound. The Elites are definately the best strings ive ever used and a damn lot cheaper.
  13. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    Seriously, Are you playing the other strings?
  14. knuckle_head

knuckle_head

Disclosures:
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Is your E tapered? And is it as tight as the rest of the set?
  15. mickster2

mickster2

Try lowering the *pickup* on the E side. If its too close it will choke the string and can reduce volume.

This is unlikely to be a string issue as you've tried so many sets. Eliminate that and you're left with setup, amp EQ'ing and psychoacoustics (ie new strings sound zingy & brite cos they're different; when you get used to them you stop noticing the zing).
  16. RandomBox

RandomBox

Again, it happens on all 3, I tried lowering the pickup yesterday and still it sounds dead. Even after weeks its just the E string, none of the others.
  17. RandomBox

RandomBox

Yep, and the E string still always goes dead quickly.
  18. RandomBox

RandomBox

I do now. When I first started playing again last year I had a tech do it, but now I string them myself.
  19. Duckwater

Duckwater

Most string sets have a duller sounding E string, I remember Circle K's sounding consistent all over though.
  20. mickster2

mickster2

In which case see my 2nd para. You're left with installation / setup, an amp EQ issue or else it's in yer head ;)

- Twisted string when installing?
    - Pickup issue on bass?
    - Are you using the same rig / playing in the same space each time?

Look for the common denominator. It's not the strings if you're getting the same issue across multiple brands / types.

hth