1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Contact for Sam Ash or American Musical?

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by mizzou541, Jan 30, 2013.

1. mizzou541

mizzou541 Supporting Member

I know we have contact info for a guy at MF that has been circulated around here but just curious about the other two. I live in Missouri so any deal I could get from MF would be negated by adding sales tax so just curious if we've got a good TB contact elsewhere.

Thanks and mods please move this as necessary. Wasn't sure where it fit but the Hot Deals section is where I've seen the MF contact info so thought this might be my best bet.

:help:

2. Siggy

Siggy Supporting Member

I received a discount from Sweetwater last April through
    Scott Augustyniak. He seemed like a decent person.

I haven't dealt with him lately because I typically don't buy new.
    Let us know your experience.

Siggy

Scott Augustyniak
    (800) 222-4700 ext 1273.
    scott_augustyniak@sweetwater.com

3. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Sweetwater will assign a rep to you/your account .. they are all pretty much able to discount in the same range ...

... get your low price quote from MF, and they contact the other two with a price match perhaps?

4. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporting Member

I deal with Anthony Logano at Sweetwater although I do most instrument business elsewhere. He is on the flippin ball and has bent over backwards to make things happen for me. NOt from a discount perspective, but from one of service.

PM me if you want his email addy. He always responds promptly.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

I wish I had the same luck the rest of you had. I had a good buying experience with my first order with Ryan Schmidt at Sweetwater. However, when I inquired about a second purchase, providing Sam Ash's web link, he told me it was against Sweetwater's policy to match or beat prices. :(

I didn't think much of it and went ahead with my order through Sam Ash.

7. robertusf

robertusf Supporting Member

Zzounds always considers a good price match and has GREAT SERVICE

8. godblender

godblender Supporting Member

^This.

9. SBassman

SBassman

Disclosures:
    PiccoBass Dealer
    I think these days Sweetwater is the best online dealer on the planet. Service, good pricing - they kick everyone else's butt.

10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I've ordered lots of stuff, from lots of places, and have my pros and cons for each.

Sweetwater is great if you need any kind of assistance with anything you buy. They offer the most support, and will bend over backwards to make sure you're a happy satisfied customer. Only 2 reasons they don't get more of my business. First, is an issue we resolved... they will call you, relentlessly, unless you specifically tell them not to. Some people like this. I didn't. Had they not done that early in my online buying days, I'd have probably used them more. Other reason I don't go to them first is that I am always looking for the lowest price, and they're the toughest to haggle with. In fact, I don't think I've ever gotten a best price out of them. I usually now buy from them only when I can't find something somewhere else, OR, if their listed price beats someplace else.

Americanmusical (same company as zzounds) is my favorite for several reasons. I like the easy payment plans that most other places don't offer. I get the quickest delivery from them. I seem to get the best customer service from them, but that could very well just be the luck of the draw. Only drawback with AMS is that they don't always have what I'm looking for.

Musiciansfriend (same as music123) is where most of my business goes. Best price is almost always the reason. I just about always have a 20% coupon to use, and if not I can wait for one. None of the other companies offer that, hassle free - although they can often easily be convinced. I've had my issues with MF, but it could be because I've ordered from them most. Every issue was resolved, and I was always left a happy customer. Same with the other places mentioned. Only place I ever bought from online that I was up an unhappy customer with was bass northwest. And I will never buy from them again.

As for price, and having a "friend" or contact at any of the online companies, it's not necessary. Any sales person can give you the same price as these guys. What I do now is take what I'm interested in, knock 20% off, and make them an offer for that price. They usually check, and can often do it. If not, 15% off is almost a guarantee. Most places have 15% off sales every other week anyhow. There are a few items that can't be budged (ipads, certain hot newer items from the big companies), but most prices can be cut significantly. And if anyone ever pays full asking price for a Ric, they need to have their heads examined. :) Sorry if anyone here did, but they'll drop thousands off the price without even thinking about it.

11. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: y'know, rhythm AND blues! Supporting Member

^^^Joe, great post. Pretty well sums up my experience too.

Zzounds once cross-shipped a $1500 electric piano to replace one damaged by UPS, without charging me! Incredible.

Sweetwater phone calls are SO annoying. Done with them.

MF usually has the best prices. GC (same company as MF and M123 and Woodwind Brasswind) accepts local returns, unlike the others.

Amazon ships fast but doesn't pack well on large items. And the games they play with their pricing...:eek:

JMHO, YMMV.

12. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

I also didn't care for the Sweetwater phone calls at home. I didn't know I could opt out of these calls. A few times prior to my initial order, I sent a message only wanting an email reply for information. They called at my home & left messages. This caused my wife to ask each time if I was placing orders, which I was not.

13. SBassman

SBassman

Disclosures:
    PiccoBass Dealer
    Wow - I wasn't aware of the call nonsense from Sweetwater.

I have never received a call from them. Then again, I don't give out my cell number. When asked for a phone number, I give out a lapsed land line number. :)