1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Contessa ca 15 mini bass

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by cryan, Feb 24, 2008.

1. cryan

cryan

15 inch speaker two 6v6 two 7025 says it is made by Hohner but can't find any info. Just bought this amp in Tucson at a thrift store and it seems to be working OK. Thanks Cliff
  2. Catanova

Catanova Supporting Member

I know I am responding to an very old post, so maybe this is a waste of time...but now its 2012, maybe someone has some insight on these now.

I have the same amp and it has been my main bass practice amp for 5 years or so. I love the tube tone especially when cranked and it IS loud. I have used it live a few times but its only useful for a small setting, unless you mic it.

These were built by Bartell of California. Useful web refs are few about this amp, but you can learn a bit about the builder. I do know that they were branded for Hohner and Natural as well. Mine has no brand mark. There were virtually identical guitar versions made as well. I spotted one in Longmont earlier this year, but did not have the foresight to buy it, as mine was working ok.

I have used this amp in my experiments of learning how to repair tube amp circuits, as it needed some work shortly after I got it and now have done various small repairs on it. But last month the 6ca4 rectifier tube died, and all my troubleshooting afterwards was unsuccessful. I took it in for professional repair today and will post a followup if I can justify the repair cost. IMO these amps were probably unappreciated in their day, given the competition they were up against. Dont know how many were built, but I would guess a lot of them are in the graveyard now...
  3. The EH Man

The EH Man Proud Registered Supporter of Talkbass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner: RonSound effects and repairs
    Some of those amps were made by Hohner, post-Bartell. All the Bartell-made units I've seen had 12" speakers.
  4. Catanova

Catanova Supporting Member

Well, my Contessa is finally working again. :hyper: Turns out that one of the 6v6 tubes had a shorted cathode. Because of the circuit design, a shorted power tube will cause the one side of the rectifier (6ca4) to short out due to the current draw. Was pretty sure there was a bad transformer and I thought I had tested ALL the tubes properly during my own diagnosis, but I didn't catch the bad 6v6. :oops: Thankfully the problem didn't ruin anything else in the amp. But since I did a full cap job on it prior to taking it in to a pro, this amp now SHOULD be reliable for the long term, and it sounds great once again!