Dismiss Notice

Welcome to TalkBass.com!

Register your free account to unlock features including:

  • Post messages or start new discussions
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Upload images and video to our gallery
  • Enter free giveaways
  • Get rid of this notice, and much more :)

control cavity cover for MIA Fender P

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by b-bottom, Jan 18, 2013.

  1. b-bottom


    Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN
    I'm thinking about taking the pickguard off of my 04-05 MIA Fender P bass. In order to do this though I'll need a control plate similar to the one found on musicman basses.

    Does anyone know where I could find a plate that would fit?
  2. bumperbass


    Jun 19, 2012
    Use your old pickguard and just cut off the area you need. Or get another color/style pickguard and do the same. You can get creative with the end opposite the controls.
  3. b-bottom


    Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN
    I thought about that but I would rather have an actual chrome plate. Just using the PG would look awkward
  4. Rip Topaz

    Rip Topaz

    Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
  5. Sponsored by:

  6. b-bottom


    Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN
  7. Stilettoprefer


    Nov 26, 2010
    I made my own:

    $8 for a door push plate and 10 minutes at the machine shop I work at. Pretty easy job. I'm probably gonna do a similar concept with my guitar so that I can move the controls around a little bit so that they aren't in my way while strumming.
  8. walterw

    walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

    Feb 20, 2009
    i wouldn't bother removing the pickguard, it'll look like ass.

    there's a big ol' rout around the pickup, and maybe even another hole in the body under there.

    still, allparts has a metal P-bass plate for the controls.

Play guitar too? Become a founding member of TalkGuitar.com