Convert a Sunn 100S to 200S?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by edwinhurwitz, Nov 25, 2013.

1. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS, D-TAR
    Hi all. I just got what I thought was a 200S on Craigslist. When I opened it up, I discovered that the top speaker chamber had no baffle board in it. On the rear cover, there's a panel that looks like it covers up a hole where there would have been a crossover or some such. There is also the standard Sunn 1/4" jack. So it looks like a 100S that someone added another 15 to.

The cabinet is somewhat beat up, so my plan is to convert it to a double 15 where each JBL (there are some eminence or something like that in it now, apparently it sounds pretty good, but it's not what I'm going for) gets its own input jack so I can then run a separate Fender head and pickup to each. The neck pickup of my Starfire will go to the lower D140 and the bridge to the upper.

So, in a way, I wonder if it much matters if the upper baffle board is there, given that my bridge pickup doesn't generate a lot of lows. Eventually, I'd like to add the baffle board, but for now, I'm thinking of going with it as is.

Another thing I'd like to do is that since the grill cloth is pretty messed up, I'm going to replace it with a Courtenay Pollock tie-dye and I'd like to front mount the speakers. It just seems a lot easier to get speakers in and out and also will be less wear and tear on the screw holes (there are only 4 holding the back on now). I can mount the grill using magnets on small wooden risers. I've done it before and it's worked out really well. I guess in order to do it here, I'd have to remove the T-nuts, mount them on the inside and then work out gaskets for the D140s.

At first it seemed like a good deal for $250, but now I'm realizing that it's going to be some work to get it all running the way I want it. However, the previous guy used it on the road as it is now for a long time and apparently it sounded great.

Ideas? Comments? Suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

Man, for that amount of work, it would be easier just to build an even better cab from scratch.

3. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    It absolutely needs the backs on, bridge pickup or not.

4. Forrrest

Forrrest

isn't the 200s an amp head?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

Not sure but I believe the 100s & 200s are the same size. If so just add a baffe and ya got yourself a 200s? Maybe? Correct me if I'm wrong, not an expert on Sunn. Good luck!

7. edwinhurwitz

Disclosures:
    Well, yeah, of course. The back will definitely be on it. It's been used extensively as is and I certainly have enough experience to know the effect of trying to play a bass through an open back cabinet.

Both. There's a head and a double 15 cabinet that originally came with JBL D140s. A great cabinet. There's also a 2000S with a double 15 cabinet, which is bigger both in amp and cabinet.

That's the plan.

I'm hoping it will be just a couple of piece of wood. As far as building a cabinet from scratch, let's just say I'm not that handy. People have built clones of the 200S cabinet that have come out great, but they possess skills, tools, space and time that are not available to me.

8. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

I can't see much advantage to running the pickups/speakers seperately. I would want both JBL's working together, I consider the D140's full range drivers.
    It's tough to say how much would be gained by adding a baffle.

How does the cab sound right now with the JBL's?

9. edwinhurwitz

Disclosures:
    I haven't put the JBLs in yet. Hopefully this week sometime.

As far as running the pickups separately, it's a great sound. I'm already doing it with this rig, which has another 200S with JBL K140s for the neck and JBL 12s for the bridge, and more than one very experienced FOH engineer has told me they wished everyone did it. I just thought it would be cool to condense it all into one cabinet.

Attached Files:

10. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

I suggest contacting Mr. Sunn, Conrad Sundholm (he does answer his emails):

http://www.conradamps.com

Conrad Engineering, LLC
    2135 River Heights Circle
    West Linn, OR 97068

c.sundholm at comcast dot net

(503) 313-8507

11. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Tasty rig.

A showman and a dual...deluxe?...something? I assume a chopjob?

Which one do you favor for the lows?

12. edwinhurwitz

Disclosures:
    D'oh! Why didn't I think of this? I'll get right on it. Thanks!

13. edwinhurwitz

Disclosures:
    It's a '67 Showman for the lows and a '67 Bandmaster for the highs. Both have Mercury Magnetics OTs and other mods. The Bandmaster was a complete basket case I got for $25 in 1994, so I used to to try out some experiments. Some have worked better than others, but the ones that have remained include a midrange pot and a variable negative feedback loop, a la Marshall presence control. The Showman I got a little bit later. It has a beefed up power supply and normal updates (replaced plate resistors, etc.). The MM OTs are both larger than the original for more headroom and allow me to use either 4 or 8 ohm cabs.

They both have Philips 7581A output tubes and the whole thing sounds stupendous. It can get quite loud before it starts breaking up.

14. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

You lost me here; what's the point without early breakup!

Good stuff though. I'm thinking your one cab solution should bring the whole thing home.

15. edwinhurwitz

Disclosures:

:D:D

I'm one of those weird people who love the sound of big clean tubes! Breakup is fun, too, but tubes just do something great when they are clean. I am going to be bummed when my 7581As wear out.

16. edbass

edbass

Actually a “200S” was the Sunn 60 watt bass head paired with one or two 40” X 24” X 15” JBL D140F loaded center folded port cabinet(s). The same amp paired with one or two 40” X 24” X 15” Sunn Transducer loaded dual circular ported cabinet(s) was badged as a “Sorado”, and the same amp with one or two 24” X 24” X 24” JBL D140F loaded folded port cabinet(s) (basically half of a 200S cab) was badged as a “Sonic I-40”.

In the era that those amps were manufactured, you couldn’t buy an amp without a cabinet. You could buy ampless extension cabinets, but not an ala carte amp.
    The labeling on the amplifier head itself was dictated by what cabinet(s) it was sold with. Now days you can sometimes score a deal on a head labeled “Sonaro” or “Sonic I-40” because the more popular 200S was the flagship 60 watt bass amp, but the amps themselves are identical to a "200S".

17. Sartori

Sartori

It's both a head and a cab. The same is true of basically all early Sunns. You couldn't buy the amps separately, originally. So a 200S was sold as the amp and cabinet together, as a whole unit.

Edit: I see Edbass already got here. :p

18. Zigmundfloyd

Zigmundfloyd

Can I ask how you get both signals to the FOH?

19. edwinhurwitz

Disclosures:
    Stereo Radial DI.

20. Zigmundfloyd

Zigmundfloyd

Thanks, so the soundman is responsible for mixing the 2 pickups together? I've always wondered about this, (using multiple amps), as it is rare that I could get more than one channel for the bass at the shows I play.

21. edwinhurwitz

Disclosures:
    I had my first gigs with experimental setup this weekend. It worked great! Very wide range dynamic tone that I could drive into the very edge of breakup on the very loudest parts. The only odd thing is how hard it is to get feedback. You'd think it would be easy with a semi hollow bass.