Convert Acoutic bass 32 sale to smaler scale

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shealray, Mar 2, 2014.

1. shealray

shealray

Dear Bass people

I have an Ibanez EB5 simi acoustic bass. I really like the body, but I need a smaller scale for my little hands say micor scale 28”. My story is I played classical guitar in my younger years and now I am older and retired and found the bass was easier to play. I really like the lower register. I do not have a lot of money and traded for this used Ibanez EB5. Now I am finding out to play arpeggios my fingers have reached the limits and the 32” scale is too big. Also I am think the fretless is the way to go for the sound I want. I am really good with wood so I thought of converting the Ibanez EB5 to a shorter scale and make it fretless.
    It appears to me I need to replace the neck of my Ibanez with a smaller scale bass neck. Is there such a thing? I do a therapeutic riding school and would be willing to trade my mint condition Amish leather horse size harness value is $500.00 for a Small Scale Simi Acoustic Bass. I do have the harness for sale just thought I could trade it here. You see I am retired now and do not have a lot of money so I have to think out of the box to acquire the bass I need. Any out of the box ideas?
    Thank you

2. Turnaround

Turnaround

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto
  3. DogBone

DogBone

First, welcome to Talkbass. :)

Converting an existing ABG to a different scale would require significant work. If you're comfortable with that level of woodworking and luthiery then wow, I guess it could be done, but that's way beyond my comfort level.

I would probably just sell the Ibanez, which is indeed a nice instrument, and use the money to buy something ready to go.

The UBass above is certainly an option.

And Gold Tone makes something very similar, a 23" fretless that you may also want to look at.

http://www.goldtone.com/products/details/w/instrument/495/MicroBass-Fretless

I think most of these types of instruments are going to be in the $350 to $400 range new, but like everything there's deals out there for used instruments and such, just have to keep your eyes open.

Good luck! :)

4. shealray

shealray

Thank you
    I have been looking at the Goldtone. Do you know of anyone who has one and played it for a while?
    I would like their input.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MD

MD

7. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

Replacing the neck? You would be in for a lot of work. FIRST of all, the bridge would also have to be moved, and then the pickups wouldn't be in the right position, etc. etc. Then, the neck pocket and neck screws may or may not fit. Entirely not worth it.

1. Try the Mikro bass.
    2. Go here - http://www.smallguitars.com/# and look at the basses
    3. Watch eBay and CL for a Samick Greg Bennett MCR-1 - a very good quality good sounding mini bass (I have one).

EDIT - I just noticed you are looking for a short-scale ABG. Sorry. That makes the neck even harder to change! The mini body will make nearly no sound at all. Get an electric and a small amp.

8. MoreBeer

MoreBeer

9. mongo2

mongo2

10. shealray

shealray

I pushed my fingers as far as they will go with the larger scale. I play the piano and know you have to push to get the octavs. The stings are a differant matter for me. I can get the fret closer unlike the standard piano. So I am looking hard for the closer spacing on the bass.
    Thanks foir your time.

11. Turnaround

Turnaround

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto
    Yah, I have a Rumbler, but am not a fan of the stock strings. Pyramid makes a set of copper-wound strings for U-Bass. It's sort of "back to reality" for some of us.

12. lz4005

lz4005

This.
    Tune down, use heavier strings if you need to, and use a capo to shorten the scale length. Instant short scale bass.

13. shealray

shealray

OMG this is perfect. What fret do I place the capo on?

14. Robert Spencer

Robert Spencer

a capo at the second fret ( after drop tuning to D on bass string) will give you about a thirty inch scale. measure the scale you want from bridge saddles and capo there.

15. shealray

shealray

I was thinking I just needed a 30 inch scale.

Just a thought.

Ask and you will receive.
    Law of attraction.
    You create your own world.
    Positive thinking.

All are saying the same thing.
    Thank you so very much for helping me.
    Take care.

16. Robert Spencer

Robert Spencer

thirty inch scales are perfect for me, play faster and easier as well.

17. Orangeclawhammr

Orangeclawhammr Supporting Member

I've only had mine for a week and a half. I absolutely love it. It's fun to play. OFPF is easy. I've even over-reached a few times. Anyone who has heard it has been impressed. It comes with a nice gig bag. Some have attempted to use a Baby Taylor guitar case for it. You can check the mega-thread for it, if you have not done so already.

Here is an acoustic bass guitar with a 29 5/8" scale. http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Electric-Acoustic-Guitar-Equalizer/dp/B005

Needless to say, at this price, the quality is, shall we say, inconsistent. For playing at home, working out bass parts, or anything other than playing out and singing, it can be quite usable. I had one for a while. I almost considered getting another one as a "couch guitar", but then the Gold Tone raised its head.

18. shealray

shealray

I understand dropping the tuning of “E” to “D” because when capo is on the 2 fret it brings the “D” back up a full step to an “E”. To keep the EADG pattern on the capo 2nd Fret I have to drop tune the other strings a full step also. Is my thinking correct? Once the Capo is place on the 2nd Fret can the string still be fine-tuned? So the Capo is acting like a nut. Sounds to me if you wanted to convert this bass to a 30” scale just take the nut off and place it behind the 2nd fret. It may look a little odd but an easy modification. Any feedback?
    “E” drops one full step to “D”
    “A” drops one full step to “G”
    “D” drops one full step to “C”
    “G drops one full step to “F”
    Thank you for your time.

19. MakoMan

MakoMan

Moving the nut won't work. You are waaaay overthinking this buddy... just use a capo or buy a bass which is already a 30" scale.

20. mongo2

mongo2

21. lz4005

lz4005

If it was done so that it turned the 2nd fret into a 0 fret it might work. But it should never be done. Because capo.