1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Convert Ibanez 32 scale to 30 scale update

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shealray, Mar 15, 2014.

1. shealray

shealray

I know I could of used a capo. However I wanted to see If I could do this without capo.
    I used a blank bone nut and placed it on the 2nd fret. Marked the string placement and then
    carved slots made the nut thinner. This worked, but the sound was very different to me.
    It sounded like the pickup was working a lot better and stronger. I am guessing the bone
    nut is a much better conductor. I wanted the sound to not be so bright so electric tape was added to deaden the tone. Now the bass sound much like and upright bass with a little electric added.
    All I need to do now is lower the action a little. I tried the truss nut, but this did not allow me to lower without hitting frets. I know this has something to do with the 30 scale. So does anyone know about
    the pickup bridge. If I sanded say and 1/8” off the bottom will this damage the pickup.
    Here is where I am headed. I studies classical guitar and the hands are older now bass is easier to play. I am playing classical piece on my bass, but the action need to come down so I can play faster with out the tap on the frets. My past career was mechanical design so this come natural to me modifying things to suite my needs.

I thought of taking the frets off, but want to get more experience with bass playing first. So this leads me to getting the action lower.
    I like the bass just needs a little more adjusting to meet my playing needs todate.
    Please do not tell to buy another bass as I have little money to do this.
    Any constructive comments.
    Thank you for your time.