1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Convert my right handed into left handed

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by humblelearner, Jan 7, 2014.

1. humblelearner

humblelearner

If I just rearrange my strings swapping the E string with the G string & the A with the D string is that all I have to do to switch hands so that I pluck with my left and fret with my right

2. M0ses

M0ses

That's the bare minimum, yes. To do that, though, you'll need to also flip the nut - the E string won't fit in the slot meant for the G string. But it really won't be pretty that way. It will balance terribly, and the controls will almost certainly get in the way of your left hand.

If you're looking for a cheap solution, I recommend rondomusic.com. You can find a hell of a lot of talk about those basses if you search for "essex" here.

3. humblelearner

humblelearner

The place where the strings are anchored at the body I believe it is a type of adjustable bridge at that point would that need to be adjusted and manipulated to accommodate the rearrangement of the strings making it a left handed bass doing so would be beyond my means; however perfect pitch and intonation are not that essential to me right now as I am in the very very early stages of learning how to play

4. M0ses

M0ses

If it's a Fender style bridge there should be no problem adjusting even to that extreme.

What kind of bass are we talking about here?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Depends on the construction.

1. You may be able to reverse the nut. Or not. Four on a side headstock is a maybe. Two on a side is almost always a no.
    2. Complete set up including truss rod and saddles for height and intonation.

Bolt on necks may require further tweaking.
    All this to have the controls in the wrong place.

7. humblelearner

humblelearner

So what I hear you all saying is don't even try it..
    With everything to take into account I guess I need to bring it to a bass tech

Thank you for your quick replies

8. humblelearner

humblelearner

Thanks again, I'll try that

9. elgecko

elgecko

Why not just play right-handed then?

10. skot71

skot71 Guest

You might try what elgecko suggested. My son plays bass. He's left handed in everything he does, but plays right handed. He just learned that way. Do you guys think his dominant hand being on the fretboard is an advantage?

11. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

You can't just 'flip the nut'. There is a break angle filed into it. The edge of the slots on the fretboard side are higher than the than the edge on the headstock side.

12. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

If you are just starting, play righty. Take it from us lefties who play righty.

13. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

For quality instruments the nut cannot be flipped without changing the floor of the slot. That may necessitate shimming the nut.

If it is an entry level instrument with a plastic nut it most assuredly will not have a ramped floor in the slot. It can be turned around.

14. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

And/or re-cutting the slots.

Though you could possibly be correct, you probably are not. An instrument with an improperly cut nut would likely not play in tune. At best, your response is a guess.

15. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Pretty much yes, but as the others have said, the nut have to at least be re-cut.
    Preferably a new nut need to be made tough, in case You want to reverse the mod ;).

Both tasks are rather easy on a bass, You only need a few drill bits and strips of emery paper/cloth, and something to mark the old slot bottoms if you just open the D & G slots to handle the A & E.
    In the latter case the D & G will be on very wide slots, but it shouldn't matter much for a quick try.

Any hard plastic or wood is good for nut-cutting practise.
    Quite a few start with toothbrush handles and work their way up to more exotic materials :).

Another thing to consider is the intonation that was also mentioned earlier, but just matching the intonation positions of the saddles when strung RH to that of the LH, puts You darn close. Assuming of course the intonation is somewhat correct now.

Well from the quick replies it may seem that way, but we all start from somewhere.
    Setting up Your instrument is not only very rewarding, it's also a huge money saver, especially in the beginning.
    If You decide to cut a new nut, it's not like the mod can't be reversed.

Regards
    Sam

16. Precision101

Precision101

I play the opposite. My E is on the bottom and and G is on top. You'd have to switch the nut though.