Converting a BA Bridge to Quick-Load

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Awesome Sauce, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce U tellin' me 2 beware? Cuz I'll tell u where 2 b Supporting Member

*I don't want to read debates, diatribes, or questions asking: Why? When there are so many other/better bridges out there? All I want to know is...

Has anyone ever filed/milled slots in their BadAss bridge in the back plate, from the top down, in order to make it quick-load? It seems to me in theory it should work, but my concern is whether or not it would weaken the bridge enough to cause distortion or even outright failure; and I don't know enough about metallurgy to even fathom a guess.

Is anyone familiar with this?

Thanks,

Rob:bassist:

2. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

First you don't get to dictate what people feel like posting and asking what you did you've set yourself up for ridicule. This is a discussion forum and discussions ensue freely.

Second I don't think it would fail

Third. As long as the ball end is captured by the tail and can't move it should work

Fourth. Lots of guys want those bridges so just sell it and buy a drop in top load replacement.

3. mech

mech

All the above, especially 4.

For the best reliability the slot should be offset from the hole. Edge of slot to edge of hole and then slotted over to the hole. I've done this to a few bridges with thick backs. If you do it by hand it will take a lot of time and is easy to mess up.

mech

4. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

Given the curiosity, only the brokest metallurgist would make guesses rather than doing it first hand to find out.

I dare anyone to argue against that fact. :mad:

But still, I have to ask why, when there are so many other readily available quick-loaders.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

It's obvious from the OP you are determined to do this so here you go.

It's simple enough, get a dremel and a cutoff wheel and cut slots in your bridge to make it a QC rig. Just make sure to offset the slots from the center of the ball hole. Once you are done, play it a while and let us know how it holds up.