Converting a Jazz bass to a PJ Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fat K, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Fat K

Fat K

My apologies if this sounds like a silly question.:D

Anyone has experience in converting a Jazz Bass to a PJ Bass? Would the neck pickup (centre line) position be close enough to that "sweet spot" to create a "proper-ish" P Bass sound, of course soloing the neck pickup.

Thanks in advance.
  2. line6man

line6man

I'm in the proccess of doing that right now.:D
    (Mockup of my bass)
    [​IMG]

Get a Warmoth JBass pickguard with the PBass routing on it.
    The pickguard is actually a bit wider at the bottom to properly accommodate the P pickup in the traditional location without it going outside of the pickguard.

This tracing i did shows the difference in shape.
    [​IMG]
  3. Fat K

Fat K

Excellent, great stuff!
  4. phunku

phunku

i might have to do this myself to save money on buying another bass!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Anonymous Guy

Anonymous Guy

Personally, I prefer the "Hoppus" spacing on the P pickup - it's slightly closer to the neck than a regular P, making it sound a bit warmer. Warmoth's P on a J is spaced lower, and aesthetically doesn't look quite as nice.

[​IMG]
  7. kasbrey

kasbrey

The Delano split coil J pickup on my Sandberg California JM sounds remarkably "P like" soloed.

I've previously tried a Di Marzio Model J on one of my Jazzes to achieve the same thing but without success.

This would save any irreversible modifications.
  8. Fat K

Fat K

Oh dear!

Just checked out the the Delanos with the large pole pieces on YOUTUBE, I think they are the ones you are referring to. You are right it does sound like a Precision Pickup this could be a could be an alternative solution! Besides, the large pole pieces IMO look DEAD COOL!
  9. jonpaulbassist

jonpaulbassist

Just curious, has anyone ever changed a jaguar to a P-J bass?
  10. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Funny you would mention the warmoth pick guard. I got one to use as a guide to convert a j to a p/j, but before I got very far I ran up on a killer deal for a deluxe p. Not a j body I know, but it's got the p/j pup config and a rather nice pre so the project to convert a j to p/j kind of lost steam.

I do however have a nice j body and a new warmoth p cut pick guard if anyone is interested in giving it a whirl.
  11. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

I think you can cheat death with this bass--jb fretless p/j
  12. ghostdog93

ghostdog93

IIRC, Warmoth puts the P pickup in the same location that it would be on a regular P, and that it makes it a little closer to the bridge J pickup.

I agree, though...it doesn't look as nice. I think the Hoppus sig and Aerodynes have a nicer pickup spacing, even if the pickup isn't in the same space as a standard P.

[​IMG]
  13. jonpaulbassist

jonpaulbassist

Has anyone ever P-bass pickups in a Jag?
  14. levis76

levis76 Supporting Member

Ask again, I don't think anyone heard you. :rolleyes:
  15. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

I just got back from playing a show with my Vintage Modified Jaguar which is a P/J setup. Sounded amazing!
  16. line6man

line6man

Since this is an OLD thread, here is what the bass looks like now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

is it too late to suggest that when the OP orders his P/J pickguard from Warmoth that he request they reverse the P pup and move it an inch or two closer to the neck?
  18. ghostdog93

ghostdog93

Nice. I'm digging those covers.

And yes, we necro'd the thread, but it was worth it.
  19. winterburn69

winterburn69

You could always get a Hoppus and add a Jazz pickup, or get a Hoppus pickguard and rout in a cavity for a P pickup.
  20. winterburn69

winterburn69

My suggestion would be to get a Hoppus and add a Jazz pickup, or get a Hoppus pickguard and rout in a cavity for a P pickup in a regular Jazz.
  21. BarkerBass

BarkerBass

I've done this, there's a thead that I made about it somewhere but I'm on my phone so can't find it, I took the diy route and made my own pickguard from 3mm black acrylic using the old J guard as a template and a saw, files and sanders to cut the routes and shape. the P pup almost lines up perfectly with the trad placing but not quite.
    It's a nice tonal change from J to P muuch rounder but I eventually swapped it back (gotta love pickguards, they make mods so reversable) to get a more balanced and slightly more aggressive set of tones from the J pickups.

i encourage you to make your own pickguad then you have full control and with time and patience it can look spotlessly done, just cur wide and sand down to the right shape and go through a lot of grades to get a clean finish on the edges