1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Converting a PBass to play as an "Upright"

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by musicpbass, Mar 29, 2011.

1. musicpbass

musicpbass

Hey all,

I've searched, but, have come up empty. Does anyone know of a kit or conversion option to make a P (or even a Jazz) an upright??

TIA

2. jaymag_87

jaymag_87

Tom Petersson of Cheap Trick played one like that in the video for "Don't Be Cruel".

Don't think it was a PBass, though.

3. TheSuzie

TheSuzie

The big problem I have with turning a bass guitar vertical is that the body still gets in the way of using proper DB right hand technique because the strings are so low. Also the string length is so short that I find holding my right hand up so high all the time is tedious. You can't stretch out like on a DB.

That said Mr Barker in addition to his regular vertical bass guitars has occasionally made a custom body for a customer. Google Barker Vertical Bass. I will try to send you some other info about mounting basses on stands.

Peace,
    S

4. stantonl

stantonl Supporting Member

I swear I've seen something like this on ebay several times, but of course can find nothing now that I look for it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. musicpbass

musicpbass

Thanks Guys.

I will check Ebay.

Thougth I'm having second thoughts on hacking my beloved Pbass

7. mongo2

mongo2

I've mounted several basses on an NS EUB stand using a transition block with a threaded insert embedded in it and attached to the body by substituting it for the neck plate.

Works fine for me.

8. anonymous122511

anonymous122511 Guest

Drum hardware.....a ball joint and cymbal stand.

9. mongo2

mongo2

Thanks, but I'm set.

10. anonymous122511

anonymous122511 Guest

Yes, I'm familiar with that setup. I was throwing it out to the OP. A ball joint is what Steve Azola used on some of his stand mounted EUBs.

11. mongo2

mongo2

What I like about my transition block setup is that it doesn't require any holes to be drilled in the bass and it's completely reversible. Also, the block is about the only way I've found to mount it on the NS stand.

Here's a pic of the prototyped transition block for my Hofner Icon, it uses the strap button screw and foam tape to secure it:

[​IMG]

Here's my DIY Warmoth J fretless with the NS stand mounted directly to the body, done a couple of years ago before I had the idea for the transition block. I have no problem navigating around the horn:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And my current shortscale EUB:

[​IMG]

12. MattyH

MattyH

Not a PBass. It looks like it's mounted/screwed on a straight mic stand. And he picks. Looks cool for the video, fun idea, but not really practical haha.

13. musicpbass

musicpbass

Mongo, that is an ingenius design. So you screwed the block into the neckplate holes??

How does the block attach to the stand? That looks to be complicated.

14. musicpbass

musicpbass

Haha

YouTube - Cheap Trick - Don't Be Cruel

15. RED J

RED J Play what you want how you want & quit arggerin ! Supporting Member

>>Thougth I'm having second thoughts on hacking my beloved Pbass

Of course, but take comfort in knowing nothing is cheaper or more abundant than P bass knockoffs.

16. anonymous122511

anonymous122511 Guest

NICE!
    All that stuff is pretty easy to find too. The ball joint I was talking about is super slick but might be a special order unless you're dealing with a drum shop with a large inventory.

17. mongo2

mongo2

Thanks.

Yes, the block with longer screws countersunk through it takes the place of the neckplate when used with a bolt on.

The NS stand side of the block is fairly easy, just two concentric holes. The outer hole fits the boss on the mounting plate of the NS stand's head and the inner hole has a threaded bushing for the stand's mounting screw.