1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

Converting old short scale into piccolo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by devin_bass, Feb 26, 2014.

1. devin_bass

devin_bass

The bass was made sometime in the 60's and has a very vintagy tone. Im looking to get a modern tone and convert it into a piccolo bass. The piccolo bass will be used for hi gain metal and will be played through a guitar amp.
    Do you guys know what would be a drop in replacement for this pickup? Are there any other things I sould replace besides the pickup?

Attached Files:

2. Daedraziel

Daedraziel

Media:
    Neat little project and here are my thoughts.

A single emg bar like an EMG35 series would work in terms of that high gain grind but no doubt you would have to rout that slot out a bit...it's not that hard especially if the bass itself isn't expensive and you aren't worried about a potential over cut.

The piccolo strings sold by daddario (exl280 I think) are pretty damn skinny and the G string isn't wound like the rest of them so I'd try and go with an aftermarket set or order a custom wound gauge G string.

I'd also get a custom nut cut even if it isn't a crucial thing, because it makes intonating the instrument much easier.

Just don't be afraid to go nuts and cut holes or make the bass what you want it to be. If you don't trust yourself to do it, drop it with a luthier and have them work it out.

I'm curious to know how it pans out for you...keep it updated

3. devin_bass

devin_bass

I think I will route the bass closer to the bridge to get a little bit more bite out of the bass. And then move the old pickup closer to the neck for clean tones. I may or may not get that pickup rewound depending on how it sounds. Then maybe I'll send the old pick guard to a custom pick guard place so that they can make a tracing of my choice of color...... I did some research and someone recommends changing the capacitors to something meant to work better with treble. True or not true?