1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Converting to ADGC

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ispinne, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Ispinne

Ispinne

Lately I've been working more on soloing and chords and I am considering getting a 6string for the higher range, however nowadays I don't have that kind of money.

So, what I'm thinking of doing is stringing my first bass with thinner strings and tune it to A-D-G-C.
    Could this damages my instrument? And also, would I have to change the nut or anything like that to string it up with thin strings?

2. neebs

neebs

Nope just get singles about 30-80 guage. Go to bassstringsonline. Look for your preferred string in singles. You don't have to change the nut. But you will have to adjust the intonation for all the strings. I tuned up to A standard for probably 6 months. Very fun. If I had a 5 stringer, I would want High C not Low B.

Do you know how to perform basic setups on your bass?

3. Ispinne

Ispinne

Yeah, I've set up all my basses myself for the last 2 years, and I got all the necessary equipment to to this.

Thanks for the qucik reply :) Will head out to my local store and get a set of ADGC's this upcoming weekend !

4. neebs

neebs

It'll be really cool, I promise! It would look kinda funny with gaps in your nut slots. But it's not mandatory to make a new nut if you don't know for certain your bass will be kept in that tuning. If I had two basses, I would definitely get a new nut. Enjoy a standard.

5. Register to disable this ad