1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Converting to ADGC

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ispinne, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Ispinne

Ispinne

Lately I've been working more on soloing and chords and I am considering getting a 6string for the higher range, however nowadays I don't have that kind of money.

So, what I'm thinking of doing is stringing my first bass with thinner strings and tune it to A-D-G-C.
    Could this damages my instrument? And also, would I have to change the nut or anything like that to string it up with thin strings?
  2. neebs

neebs

Nope just get singles about 30-80 guage. Go to bassstringsonline. Look for your preferred string in singles. You don't have to change the nut. But you will have to adjust the intonation for all the strings. I tuned up to A standard for probably 6 months. Very fun. If I had a 5 stringer, I would want High C not Low B.

Do you know how to perform basic setups on your bass?
  3. Ispinne

Ispinne

Yeah, I've set up all my basses myself for the last 2 years, and I got all the necessary equipment to to this.

Thanks for the qucik reply :) Will head out to my local store and get a set of ADGC's this upcoming weekend !
  4. neebs

neebs

It'll be really cool, I promise! It would look kinda funny with gaps in your nut slots. But it's not mandatory to make a new nut if you don't know for certain your bass will be kept in that tuning. If I had two basses, I would definitely get a new nut. Enjoy a standard.