Converting to SPEAKON

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Camel Toe, Apr 27, 2001.

1. Camel Toe

Camel Toe

How do I convert the 1/4-inch input jack on my Peavey TX 4x10 cab to receive a Speakon connector from my Gallien-Krueger 700RB 2x10 amp. I want to exploit the bi-amp high-voltage output of my GK amp when plugging it into my 4x10. (I currently use the 1/4-inch output jack from the GK into the 4x10).

2. I_Dream_Of_Bass

I_Dream_Of_Bass

I haven't ever seen an adapter that runs from a Speakon to a 1/4" jack. The bi-amp'd Speakon connector has 4 poles in it that must be connected in 2 pairs for the bi-amplification to work. Neutrik makes a 4-pole Banana-to-Speakon adapter. But I have never seen a cable that goes to the 1/4" jack. I tried to get the specs for the 700RB but couldn't find GK's web site, so I don't know how the connector is wired. You can probably purchase a Speakon connector, 1/4" jack, and wiring and make your own, but I would be EXTREMELY careful about doing that. You need to check the owner's manual for the wiring configuration of the Speakon connector on your amp and make sure that it matches the impedance and power on your Peavey. You might also want to ask a tech at your local bass shop. They might be able to make one for you that will work with your rig for less than $20.00.

Here's Neutrik's site: http://www.neutrik.com

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

markertek.com will make you speakon to 1/4" in any length and gauge you want. Just be sure to give them the exact pin configuration.

4. Joris

Joris

Bi-amping a 2x10 and a 4x10 is close to useless. They supposedly have the same frequency response. Bi-amping is useful when you have, say a 2x10 and 1x18, which have different frequency ranges. Each of them will be more efficient in their own range.

You should run them both full-range, i.e. w/o crossover.

My $0.02

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Camel Toe

Camel Toe

Thanks for all of your replies. Dream_of_bass: I guess I wasn't real clear, but I truly appreciate your input. I was thinking of running speakon-to-speakon, and was considering changing the receiving jakc (and plate) on my cabinet from a 1/4-inch female to a jack that can receive the speakon cable end.

I think Joris may have hit the nail on the head. Since I'm chaining a 2x10 and a 4x10 with very similar frequencies, it does seem useless.

Joris: should I then just stick with the 1/4-inch connections from my GK to the 4x10?

Thanks again, Doug.

7. White_Knight

White_Knight

8. WAKOJACO

WAKOJACO Guest

SWR sent me a Speakon to 1/4 inch jack with my last SM-900. Give them a call. They're usually very resonsive, and are great with questions.

9. Joris

Joris

Of course it's a better idea to use Speakons, since they're far better suited for high power. But if possible, you should turn off the bi-amp function on the amp, so both channels put out the same (full range) signal.

10. I_Dream_Of_Bass

I_Dream_Of_Bass

bassheavy,

I think I know which jack you're talking about and I think that it is not a 1/4" connector like an instrument cable. I think it is more like the connector on a power transformer (i.e., wall-wart.) I may be wrong, but I think I saw the schematic for it and it looked more like that than a standard 1/4" jack.

11. VicDamone

VicDamone

Toe:

As I understand it, you want to use Speakon to Speakon, no adapters or dissimilar typs of connectors.

First contact the manufacture of your current cabinet. One of there newer models may be equiped with a Speakon input which would make the retrofit as simple as ordering the part and a little soldering.

Speakons provid much more contact surface than the phone plug, which was invented around the late 1800's, but far less than a simple spade/thumb screw.

Even so the Speakon is becoming an industry standard through shear convenience, and diservidly so.

Be aware that some speaker systems are wired +2/-2 as opposed to the more common +1/-1. Speakons are butt easy to build yourself.

12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Supporting Member

Media:
    I'm gonna resurrect this thread...

While shopping for cabs to go with my new G-K 400RB, I've noticed quite a few bottoms are using the Speakon connector. Is there a standard pinout for these? I assume they're four conductor so you can bi-amp.

Which brings up the next question. If I convert the G-K chassis output jacks to Speakon, how should I wire 'em? Tie both hots together, and both grounds together? Use only one pair? (Which pair?)

I guess I'm looking for a good Speakon FAQ, which I haven't found yet. Any guidance would be appreciated!

13. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Disclosures:
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    www.carvin.com

It has the Cables, Connectors, Jacks Adaptors,Invertors, and more on the Speakon Issue.

14. tufnuts

tufnuts

www.partsexpress.com

lots of stuff/cables/connectors/etc. They have speakon -> Whatever cables. Plus they sell the connectors, if you wanna make your own.

15. Gallient Knight

Gallient Knight

I agree that if you are trying to bi-amp a 2 x10 and a 4 x 10. I don't know if you Gk has the same bi-amp as mine, but the 1001 has a woofer / tweeter bi-amp mode that really lets you push the 10's without all of the tweeter hiss. I am also bi-amping a GK 2000rb, lows to a straight 15, the rest to a 2 x 10. I mess around with the cross over point depending on the sound I want to get. There are alot of them if you have the right types of speakers to play with

16. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Supporting Member

Media:
    No, my G-K 400RB doen't bi-amp, but I still want to wire it to "industry standard", if there is such a thing.

I did find some info on Bag End's site:

I would like to use the Neutrik Speakon connectors on my Bag End speakers. How should the cables be wired?
    The Neutrik Speakon NL4MP connector is a keyed, high current, four conductor device which allows both the high and low frequency signals for a bi-amped loudspeaker system to run through the same 4-conductor cable. Bag End uses pin 1+ and pin 1- for connection to ELF subwoofers. Pin 2+ and pin 2- are used for mid/high loudspeakers. All four conductors on both Speakon connectors are wired in parallel, but only two conductors are connected to the driver(s) in the enclosure. This permits an easy parallel connection to other similar loudspeakers (if your amplifier can handle the lower impedance load) and allows the use of a short “jumper” between the subwoofers and the mid/high speakers in a bi-amped system. Banana and 1/4" phone jacks are also provided on mid/high loudspeakers. ELF subwoofers include banana jacks on each circuit ("Low" and "High").

Just a FYI...