1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Converting top loaded to string thru.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tribbledaniel, Aug 22, 2013.

1. tribbledaniel

tribbledaniel

I'm considering converting my Squier CV 50s Pbass to a string-thru design It doesn't look complicated but I figured I'd ask around to see if anyone tried this and what were the end results. Thanks.
  2. tastybasslines

tastybasslines I'll hump your leg Supporting Member

Why? Is there something about the bass that is not performing as you would like?
  3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Conventional wisdom holds that the modification will not yield much benefit although it may be a fun project. Is the bass lacking in some fashion?

Riis
  4. Tomkat8

Tomkat8 Supporting Member

IMO, it won't make a much of of noticeable difference in sound and you will be hacking up your bass, and will be harder to string up
  5. awilkie84

awilkie84

Sub'd to this thread. I'm going to be mounting a Squier Mustang bridge to my MIM P-bass & would like to know if anyone's attempted this mod.
  6. tribbledaniel

tribbledaniel

There's nothing wrong with the bass at all. Just trying to make look more authentic I guess!
  7. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

I am NOT a pro. But it seems pretty simple. Install the replacement bridge. Use the holes on top to to drill through to the bottom. That way they CAN'T really be out of line. (Of course, a drill press would probably insure that the drill is perfectly perpendicular to the body.) Then you can use the holes that have bee drilled through as "pilot" holes for the ferrules. Wrap a piece of tape around the bit to set the depth to drill the ferrules. Then pop in the ferrules in and glue if needed. I may be missing something but it doesn't seem to be too hard.
  8. Handyman

Handyman Supporting Member

Through body stringing on P Basses is a very recent thing. You're more authentic without the change.
  9. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

I wouldn't to commend it. My preferred bridge setup are ones where the string can be wound up on the tuner without the string twisting. Favorites are the warwick two piece bridges and the hipshot bridge on my Conklin. From my experience with this situation through body actually made sustain worse because the string twisted even more as it was wound up on the tuning peg. But for some basses it can change the tone a little in a good way because it can cause the body to resonate more which does effect the strings vibrating pattern over the pickup. IMO though thy loss of sustain was never worth such little change in tone. I'm not saying for some basses it wouldn't work better. But I tried it and didn't care for it.
  10. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

So you want to install one of these? -

[​IMG]

There's a reason no one uses a bridge like this anymore. Intonation is a b*tch. If you want to make it look more authentic, just install this. No one will know that you have a functional bridge under there, and you'll look authentic as hell. -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. bh2

bh2

My beloved Stingray was a string through... it was the ONLY pain in the arse issue.
  12. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

That is EXACTLY how to do it. I've done this with two basses and two Strats (converting to hard-tail) with pretty much exactly this method.
  13. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

They were string through up to 57 I believe.
  14. Handyman

Handyman Supporting Member

I take that back. I guess the two intonation screw slab bodies were through body.

God, those bridges are a PITA to adjust.

To the OP: Whatever you do, stick to a something that gives you a saddle and intonation screw per string.
  15. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Pretty much, except I'd say to only drill the two outermost holes all the way through the body. Use a drill press, and go slowly. Drill out the inner two halfway through the body from the top, then flip the bass over, line up the bridge on the back with the 2 outermost holes that you already drilled, and drill the two inner holes halfway through so they meet the ones you did from the top. Then do your countersinking for the ferrules.

This will ensure that your holes are in a perfect line both on the top and on the back.

If you go all the way through on all of them from the top you run the risk of the bit "walking" and coming out the other side crooked. Then you'll have string through holes that are misaligned and look amateur.