1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Converting

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Phantomblack, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Phantomblack

Phantomblack

Hi everyone, I am new here and I have a question that I would like to see if possible if it can be answered.

I have a old Peavey TNT Bass amp. I blew the Black Widow sub so I ordered a 15 inch Yorkville PA speaker to install. I have mounted and it works, but it does not want to play the low E very well. ( and I understand all of that )

So the question I have is:
    Is it possible to be able to tap this into my six channel PA system? To use it more for the low end of a PA system?
    There is not much use for it as a Bass amp so why not try to use it as a PA.

thanks for everyone that responded.
    cheers!

2. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

First of all, welcome to TalkBass Phantomblack.

Even though Peavey gets a lot of love in US and here in TB, IMHO/IME it's not much of a bass amp, let alone a substitute for a sub. With or without the Black Widow.

What I would do if another Black Widow is out of the question, is to find the T/S specs for the Yorkville driver (or to find the resonating frequency with rice) and to re-port the TNT to better suit the driver.

A sub it won't become, but perhaps a bass combo again.

Regards
    Sam

3. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

The speaker in my TNT is a 4 ohm speaker. 150 watts into 4 ohms. If you put in an 8 ohm speaker, then you are only getting about 1/2 that power into it.

What era TNT is this?

4. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

You now understand why you can't just drop any speaker into any cab "just because it fits".

If it does not perform well as a bass combo, it probably won't perform well for anything else.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

If you blew up a Black Widow, you did something weird. The baskets are available for a lot of the BW drivers. I worked at a music store when the BW drivers came out and people didn't blow them often, even though they tried.

How were the controls set?