1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

convince me not to put the bass down for good

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by boamedt, Feb 11, 2013.

1. boamedt

boamedt

So I'm thinking, why do I spend all my money on my bass stuff but don't really do anything but noodle around on it for a bit and then put it down. I have been playing for 5 years. I play reggae music. I jam with my brother and a friend like once every week or two. I have been in a reggae band, but the singer's eloped and moved away. Where I live, there is not much of a music scene around, so finding a singer is imposible(let alone one that sings reggae) and so is finding a keyboard player(reggae just doesn't sound the same without)When I was in the band I went around tring to hand out our cd to venue and bar owners and none of them would even take it or even put it in and listen for 3 seconds. They all just blew me off. So we had aband and no where play. We found a few places, but we had to do It for free. I had fun, it's not like I was planning on making money from this.
    But now it seems like all the fun and joy I got from playing and gigging has gone away. You can't gig without a singer but can't find any gig to play when you have one.....so why play if it's not really fun anymore?

Not trying to be negative. Just had this thought and wonder...
  2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz

Yup. Put it away for a while until you feel the need to pick it back up. I did this and I just plucked at the bass for almost 9 months and then I got a call to go play in a working cover band. Been going strong for over 2 years now. I just went to open mics and had fun hanging around musicians, not playing.

Once it isn't fun, time to step away and refresh.
  3. LaBassGuy

LaBassGuy

If you need convincing to play an instrument, then put it down for good.
  4. jchrisk1

jchrisk1

Maybe you should consider expanding your genre's of music you would like to play. I love playing reggae music, but I also play rock, blues, funk, anything else I can.

I played in a reggae band for four years, and I will tell you, it's hard finding gigs for the style. Mostly reggae festivals (usually travel is required) or "island theme" parties. Whether private or at a club. We didn't have a keyboard player either, but we did have a horn section. But they were like the community horn section.

Fact is, most places don't have a reggae scene. So, if that's all you are willing to play, then you probably won't have much going on. But, there's nothing wrong with jamming with friends and having a good time. Maybe one of you could try picking up the vocals and see how that goes.
  5. sven kalmar

sven kalmar

naahh..we can all get to periods like this. Circumstances might change. Why not study tecnique..play scales and hang in there. even if you just noodle with the bass 20 a day...its infinitily more than nothing. Play some jazz..whatever. all of a sudden ooportunities occur and then you are ready...
  6. dtripoli

dtripoli

Yes!, please put the bass down for good.
    That leaves more work for us bass players that play no matter what, through thick or thin, bad times or good.

...just kidding, this feeling will pass.
    Saw Stanley Clarke last year. After the concert I was ready to dump all my bass gear and quit, what's the point of even trying.
    That feeling passed and it became an inspiration to work harder.
  7. boamedt

boamedt

That's funny. I probably would have thought the same thing if I saw Stanley Clark
  8. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

Sell your gear to us and drink beer instead. Then we'll be happier and so will you.
  9. thunderbird66

thunderbird66

I've been kinda going thru the same thing. Burnt out on the band thing ( the last 2 didn't end very well ). I just pull em out and stare at em. Got a couple offers in the last yr but declined. Inspiration can be a b*tch ( or lack there of ). I did by some recording gear and gonna do the lone ranger thing. Just put it away for awhile. You never know what tomorrow my bring.:)
  10. inthevelvet

inthevelvet Supporting Member

naahhh, just put it down until you have the urge to play again. May be a week, may be a year, may be never. No reason to say "forever" to anything.
  11. 5StringThunder

5StringThunder

Best advice on anything ever. Do what you love and love what you do. If you do that, you'll find a way to get to where you wanna be.
  12. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Fixed it for ya.
  13. boamedt

boamedt

Perhaps a break is in order
  14. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

You have some nice gear, if you do step away for a bit, don't sell it for awhile. If music is really inside you it will call you back and you don't want to regret or buy back gear you had and might want back in just a few months.
  15. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

How 'bout put down the reggae? Don't get me wrong. I love that stuff. But I play everything. And I mean everything. Why box yourself in like that? Is that really the ONLY kind of music you have ANY interest in playing? How sad is THAT? You're only leaving yourself OUT of 99.99999999999% of the music out there. Seriously, you live in Cali. If you expand your horizons and open your mind a bit, you should be able to find some people to jam with. Even reggae artists don't JUST play reggae.
  16. mcm

mcm

Learn to sing yourself
  17. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

You can't find band members in a 200 thousand people city in Cali? It's hard to believe.
    People find ways to make bands in Nowhere, Minnesota, population 23 chickens and 50 sheeps. In the middle of Sahara, in kirghizistan, hell even in Rothera Station, Antarctica.

you may not have the motivation to build up or join a band, which is fine but please don't say you can't find members for a band.
    If you don't feel like playing anymore it is fine to stop for a while.
  18. boamedt

boamedt

I don't by any means have a way to travel very far to go practice or the funds. Take a look around my craiglist and type in reggae most people are guitarist looking for a band at least an hour away. I'm not only interested in reggae but it's really all I ever played, and what got me to pick up a bass in the first place.....perhaps it's just not as inspiring to me anymore. Perhaps I do need to branch out. I have played a little funk but that's even more rare than reggae around here. Most bands I have attempted to join always fall short of player or two. Just can't find that person that fits with the rest of the band or s a singer not willing to commit. Or can never get gigs once formed.
    It's sad to say but music just isn't one of the things they do in Sonoma county, unless Ur famous.
  19. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

Take some lessons which will help expand your horizons. Listen to other kinds of music you don't normally listen to. Play other kinds of music you've never played. There is life beyond reggae. Go to some concerts. Live it up! Play bass!
  20. AnthonyBrown

AnthonyBrown

:rollno:Don't stop! You haven't been playing long enough to quit! If you need encouragement, pick up some music you would like to learn how to play and either take lessons or woodshed until you can play it. You don't deserve to quit yet!:bassist: