1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Convince me to get Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by southpaw723, Dec 23, 2013.

1. southpaw723

southpaw723

I want to try out some flats, I've never tried them before. I play mostly classic rock style on a jazz bass. I heard more cons than pros though. I hear that a lot of flats' tension is bad for the neck and also I wont cut through in the mix. I like flea's tone on Stadium Arcadium, I heard that he used flats on that. What kind of flatwounds should a first time user try out?
  2. SteveHeissner

SteveHeissner

Try 'em and if you don't like it then just switch back. I like the way they feel on my fingertips but only use flats on one of my basses, a Carvin LB20. I have experienced no issues with action or the neck since putting flats on it.
  3. remainthesame

remainthesame

"convince me to get flats" ok i will, how's about i make you an offer that you cant refuse?

idk, i never played flats, just wanted to make a joke. carry on
  4. Linnin

Linnin

You should always have a bass strung in flats. If you only have one bass, buy another. It's Christmas after all.
  5. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Chromes are a great choice for a 1st flat. Still very bright, but they do settle over time.

I have a P with Chromes and it sits in the mix perfectly. When I want to "cut" through the mix, i use my Ric with Rounds.

Good Luck!
  6. FourBanger

FourBanger

Don't buy flats.
  7. ZhuAnRen

ZhuAnRen

I don't know as I can convince anyone to play flats, it is really a personal taste sort of thing. I put them on my jazz and didn't like them. I gave them a fair chance, and found I liked rounds better. Flats just felt sticky and I ended up with metal dust all over my fingers after playing on them a fair bit. Sound-wise, I found them too thumpy to cut through the mix. Plus the growly mids of a Jazz bass really feel pleasantly accentuated by rounds, IMO. That said, GHS Precision flats or D'Addario chrome flats aren't bad to try out, especially if you don't want to drop lots of dollars on TI jazz flats or any of the "upper-end" flats, just for a "trial run".
  8. BenWhoPlaysBass

BenWhoPlaysBass

The tension on flats isn't gonna hurt your neck too much, but your fingers'll need some time to get used to them. Other than that, there's nothing better for a solid low-end "thump" than flats, especially on something like a P bass. Nice solid low end without overtones to busy up the sound. I have a washburn with a p-bass pickup that I keep flats on year-round.
  9. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

10. overclockerd

overclockerd

Try chromes, they are a great choice for first flats. Kinda bright in the beggining and they cut through the mix perfectly.You might also try some slapping if you like!
  11. quiltkitty

quiltkitty Supporting Member

D'Addario Chromes are great for moving from rounds to flats. We play a RHCP stuff in our band and it sounds great on my Ibby strung with Chromes. Still cuts through just fine.
  12. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

13. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

They sound great, little to no fret wear.
    Great with a pick, last forever.
    It's a grownup tone.
  14. Trayster2

Trayster2 Supporting Member

+1
    They're also great without a pick. They have an old school funk sound.
  15. deste

deste

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GullanskyLab pickups
    Flats are great!
    Flats are horrible!
    It all depends on your taste, your bass, your style of playing, the sound you need, the music you play.
    Tried Chromes on a P: too bright, but they are still on, Fender on my active fretless, much better.
    Anyway it's up to you...
  16. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

17. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy Supporting Member

Chromes on a P great
    Chromes on a MM great
    Chromes on a Jazz...not so much.

They are my preferred string but they don't work in every situation.
  18. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

Im with you Chuck Norriss...I recently just started playing my 64 CS Jazz Relic again it has Labella flatwounds 105,s.I like you play Classic Rock.I cut through the mix without effort.I use a single 15 with 300 watt head eq set flat pickup volumes wide open tone at 3/4 ,s.I also have flatty,s on my P Bass she,s just wait,n for her new pick ups.I easily get a year of out of a set of flat wounds.OLD SCHOOL.
  19. Steveman

Steveman

Flats are a good investment, you only need to re-string them when they don't stay in tune (which takes 15+ years).
  20. dougjwray

dougjwray

Just try a set. What's the worst that can happen?
    I like GHS Precision Flats and D'Addario Chromes.