1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Cooking

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassrob68, Feb 14, 2014.

1. bassrob68

bassrob68 Supporting Member

Does anyone enjoy creating food when they're not creating bass lines? I find it therapeutic to chop vegetables (watching my fingers of course) and prepare a healthy, tasty meal. I attended the Culinary Institute Of America for 2 semesters back in the 80's so I have a bit of experience and though I didn't graduate, I gained a lot of knowledge which I still use today. So would anyone like to discuss their favorite pizza, burger or BBQ recipes?
  2. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    I have always LOVED cooking. They only reason I didn't pick it over bass is I'm too picky an eater, lol. Too many things at a cooking school I would never eat. I worked in some restaurants over the years, and I've probably made around 30,000 pizzas, but that was a long time ago.

I'm definitely the main chef in the house. My wife does OK, and when she does get to cook, dinner is always fine, but her processes make me CRAZY. I just can't even be near the hosue, let alone near the kitchen.

I trusted her to cut tonight's garlic bread and what arrived at the table looked like Mondrian and Edward Scissorhands had a fight over how to slice it.

I am a terrible baker. Once cooking gets into that whole touchy thermochemical reaction stuff I'm out.

Soup also vexes me at times, although I have great success with stews and chilies.

What's your favorite thing to make?
  3. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    It has been a passion of mine for some time. I even did it professionally for a few years. Started out as just a line/prep, then eventually worked my way up to head chef (I still don't know how I got that, considering I have no formal schooling, but hey, it was nice!). I still very much love cooking, and to an extent baking as well. I've learned a lot when working in the restaurants that I still use to this day at home. I vividly recall when I was taught how to properly use knives for each intended function. It took me a while to get it down, but it's been a huge pay off. And things just like picking cook ware, cutlery, how spices actually "work" and so on has let me create, not just follow recipes.
  4. madman4string

madman4string

Two passions, bass and cooking. Other than my family, they consume me. Want some recipes, hit me up. 30 years of food in this brain.
  5. Happynoj

Happynoj

Ex head chef here. I'm rehabbing myself to learn to enjoy cooking again. It's nice to actually have time to do it now I'm out of the game. I'm pretty proud of my spag bol.
  6. pica

pica

I too went to Culinary School and worked in restaurants for years. My favorite dishes to make are chicken and Mexican. Chicken is so versatile you can make tons of recipes using chicken. Piccata, Marsala, Tosca to name a few.
  7. sjeverett

sjeverett

We all take turns cooking in my house. Everyone has dishes they excel at or enjoy. I'm in charge of anything fish, venison, grilled, menudo, and most breakfast dishes. My favorite is a venison ham in a crockpot with potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, some secret spices, allens green beans, and a packet of gravy mix. The green beans and gravy mix was something I picked up from my daughter.
  8. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Several years ago, my doctor told me that I had to stop eating processed foods and learn to cook for myself. I very grudgingly went to the bookstore and found a book that seemed like it couldn't be easier or less time-consuming: "The 15-Minute Vegetarian". I made my shopping list, and, somewhat dreading the experience, came home from the grocery store and prepared my first meal from the book. And it was fun. And it was delicious. And I was definitely, completely, forever hooked. :)
  9. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

I have two parents that are both terrific cooks (on of my grandma had 18 kids so she was quite a cook and my dad is the onyl one in the family who bothered to learn from her, the other grandma...actually taught cooking classes, so my mom also learned a lot from her). When they were together, there was never a lot of repetition in the menu. At least not more than once every few months, when they'd cycled through all the things they could make. Unfortunately I put both my parents to shame by rarely bothering to actually cook. Its not that i'm bad, i did learn some things from them, i just don't like it enough to bother with it. I don't tend to plan ahead in life...cooking is like planning. Youre supposed to start doing it BEFORE you're hungry. I tend to wonder what i'm gonna eat once i'm hungry. This is not conducive to cooking.
  10. pedroims

pedroims Supporting Member

I love cooking but never cook burger or pizza. With this winter I have have an opportuny to improve the recipe of my mole de olla ( beef spicy soup), I also like cooking sea food. During summer is all about bbq.

I am also in charge of cooking for holidays, roasted ribeye and fillet mignon was what I cooked for last Xmas and thanks giving, in both cases I used a sauce of red wine
  11. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

I love cooking (worked as a breakfast and line cook, over the years) but I'm lazy and don't do it as often as I should or would like to :)
  12. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

I enjoy cooking. My wife and I rarely eat processed food, it is unhealthy and expensive. Lately I have been getting my pizza down to perfection. I find the secret is to make the dough two days before, wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate it. After two days it is simply amazing. If you have great crust, it doesn't matter what you put on top of it, the pizza will be amazing.

I also have a great beef stew recipe, but I don't make it much as it is expensive. My wife and I have also been enjoying making breakfast skillets with hand cut hash browns. Those are quite good, but a fair amount of work. Oh, and anything coffee.

lowsound
  13. msact

msact Supporting Member

I have always loved cooking. I started by making scrambled eggs when I was four years old. I was always a very early riser and I couldn't wait for everyone else, so I just pulled a chair up in front of the stove and made them. Ever since I have always enjoyed cooking. My late wife used to feel sorry for me spending all day in the kitchen on holidays. Eventually she realized it was something I loved and took pride in.
  14. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    5 more minutes before wonderful bread comes out of the oven. ;)
  15. Caustic Crunch

Caustic Crunch

My Mom, hardcore Italian, rest her soul, stood me in the kitchen when I was a lad and taught me all I needed to know.
    Cooking is therapy...
  16. Epidrake

Epidrake

I love to cook. Of course I can't compare my cooking to my mom and mother in law. Both of them are authentic Greek cooks.
    That's why I mostly cook Italian food. My wife loves to cook too.

My brother works on the Food Network show "Chopped" and that show is a great place to get really creative ideas when you think you can't think of anything to make.
  17. stratovani

stratovani

As a cook, I'm a great bass player! Seriously, I've always believed that if you can't cook, then marry someone who can. My wife is a good cook, so I'm lucky in that regard. Me, I can cook stuff out of a box, like mac and cheese, or a can of soup, I make a mean grilled cheese, or burger or hot dog, but my specialty is spaghetti sauce. Two jars of Ragu sauce, a pound of hamburger (browned), some onion, mushrooms, and green pepper, (sautee everything first, of course), garlic salt, a bay leaf, and some Chef Paul Prudhomme's Pasta and Pizza Magic. Mix it all in, simmer for an hour, and voila! Quick and painless spag sauce!

Hmmm, think I know what's for supper tonight! ;)
  18. ImNotJoel

ImNotJoel

I am the cook of the house and enjoy it. I didn't know tb had so many chefs west need a recipe thread.
  19. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    I love to cook! It's a lot of fun to share it with my GF too.
  20. RxFunk

RxFunk

I too love cooking, I primarily cook southeast Asian food. However, I never measure anything, I always cook by feel and taste, so sharing recipes is a bit tricky.