1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Cool ampeg bass, can't say I have ever seen this style before..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Arnie, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Arnie

Arnie

2. johnson79

johnson79

Don't see those everyday. I have no knowledge about them. Only seen a few pictures over the years.
  3. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    '60's Ampeg ASB-1 "Devil Bass" - super bad!
  4. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

I saw it's cousin, the AEB-1, in person about 20 years ago in Oklahoma. There was a gentleman at work that was retiring, and he told me he had a couple of old bass rigs he was going to get rid of. So I dropped by his house...picked up a Sunn Concert Bass with the 2x15 cab, and a Kustom K250 with the 2x15 cab (in black) but I digress.

Anyhow, he told me he had a few old basses too. He wasn't going to sell them unfortunately. One was an old Jazz, maybe a '60 or '62. Then he pulls out this funky Ampeg. Alas, he knew what it was worth and wouldn't sell it.
  5. arjune

arjune

The black portion of it seems a little too... phallic.
  6. penguineman

penguineman

wow that'd be a nice piece to have.
  7. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

8. Doctor Hugocat

Doctor Hugocat

I've only seen pics of this particular design, but check out the other Ampeg 'scroll' basses from around that period....they look pretty fine as well. Though someone brought one to a (blues) jam the other week and I was unimpressed with the sound. Looked great though!
  9. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

I think you might be disappointed in how those devil basses actually sound. The "mystery" transducer makes it a total "thud" machine. There's a reason very few were made.

Looks like the one in that auction has had the body refinned.

There's a whole thread on them. Search "scroll basses".
  10. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson

Disclosures:
    Professional Luthier
    Here's about everything you'd ever want to know about the Ampeg Devil Basses:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/love-ampeg-other-scroll-basses-843684/index37.html

And Part 2 is just getting going:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/love-ampeg-other-scroll-basses-part-2-a-1044767/

And the page from my own web site:

http://www.xstrange.com/asb1.html

At the moment, I have five of them here in my shop. Two of them I have in my own personal collection, and three are customers' instruments here for restoration. I was working on one of them this afternoon, scraping the paint off the neck and preparing it for structural repairs.

Yes, they are strange old basses with a lot of problems in the design and construction. The "mystery" pickup is a mechanical-percussive diaphragm pickup. The bridge is mounted on a drum-like steel diaphragm, and a magnetic coil detects the movement of the diaphragm, not the strings. It creates a unique sound with a heavy pulse on the attack curve. It'll never sound like a normal modern bass. You may love it or hate it.