1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Cool VFE sale

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MightyMiloQuinn, Mar 24, 2014.

1. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

http://www.vfecustom.com/specials.html

Peter's offering up a bunch of different versions of his regular pedals for really great prices. For those looking for a Mini Mu, there's one available for like $60. There are others geared toward bass, like the Woodchipper (Brassmaster clone) and Triumvirate Bass (distortion). There's also an Octaver that might have some potential (could be a Pearl clone).

2. MightyMiloQuinn

Actually, looks like the Octaver is a combo of a Green Ringer and a Blue Box.

3. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Supporting Member

Thanks for the tip! I snatched up that $59 Mini Mu; best $59 I've ever spent on a pedal! If the newer version is indeed better than this one, I might have to give it a try someday.

4. MightyMiloQuinn

No problem. I think it was a really smart move to get these pedals out into the wild. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Mini Mu after you've messed with it for a while.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Supporting Member

I just messaged SillyFabe about it, so I'll just take some excerpts from that:

I love the Mini Mu. It has just enough unpredictability that it won't run away from you, but it will tug on the leash! I like filters that aren't perfect, but still very usable. This is a version 1 Mu; the newer one was selling for $109, and it's supposed to have some upgrades which include better down sweep range and response and active volume control which allows you to go farther past unity gain.

I don't really like the down sweep on this version (I never get around to actually using down sweep anyway), but the up sweep is about the closest you'll get to an original Mu-Tron III in a modern compact pedal. It think it has to do with the gain being actual GAIN, not just sensitivity. It clearly gets louder as you turn it up, but the level control compensates for that.

All in all, it's a great up-sweep envelope filter at any price; at $59 it's fantastic!