CopilotFX Custom Broadcast LFO pedal.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by M Sterling, May 12, 2011.

1. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

I contacted Adam at CopilotFX a few weeks back to see if he was interested in building a custom pedal for me. I was looking for a pedal to plug into the exp jack on another pedal (specifically my IE Xerograph) that would generate a tap tempo controlled LFO to sweep the Freq. I also wanted expression control over the multiplier and to be able to control the exp normally when the LFO was not in use. He got back to me very quickly and let me know that he could build exactly what I was looking for, and at a very reasonable price! He just let me know it is finished and will be on it's way from the Dominican Republic very soon! Here's a pic he sent me:
    [​IMG]

Selectable waveforms, tap tempo, control over the upper range of the sweep, expression control of multipliers x1, x2, x4, and x1/2, the ability to bypass it and control the pedal manually, and really cool looking to boot. I will do a vid and a review when it arrives. So far the experience of working with Adam has been very smooth, with great communication on his part. Much love to Adam and all of the independent builders who go above and beyond.

2. kaputsport

kaputsport

Disclosures:
    Atypical, not a typical...
    I want one. What was the cost?

3. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    Definitely interested to hear this in action.

I could be wrong but wasn't something like this incorporated into the Xero's forthcoming big brother, the Bubble Chamber?

4. M Sterling

I imagine the price would vary depending on what options you want and maybe what you would want to control with it. It was about the same as a Rf LFO Mod Box, but with more and better features. And, the response time and communication have been excellent.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

Interesting. I'm curious to see how it works for you. I had Mario at Robot Factory build me a custom LFO Mod Box (expression control of rate, the ability to have the expression pedal work as normal when the Mod Box was off) for use with the cutoff control of my old Moog LPF.

Never got it to work right with the Moogerfooger and ended up selling it.

Hopefully, you have much better luck. Soundclips please!

And to Jean - yes the IE Bubble Chamber will have an internal LFO for regulating the cutoff frequency in the same way and also have tap tempo.

The Bubble Chamber is planned to have a couple other features (expression control of multiplier, pitch tracking LFO control, ability to use expression control to sweep at the same time as the LFO etc but similar ideas indeed.

7. kaputsport

kaputsport

Disclosures:
    Atypical, not a typical...
    I sent Adam an email inquiring about the details.

I want to rename it "The Friction Broadcast" by CoPilotFX, as it is the name of my band. I also asked about other mods like bit crushing, phase inversion, and what not... We will see....

8. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Color me interested as well... would love to hear clips.

9. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    Ah, okay, thanks Jared.

10. behndy

behndy

innnnnnterestinnnnnng.

11. jpdabass

jpdabass

12. wolffman

wolffman

Disclosures:
    Beta Tester: Red Panda Labs
    This looks awesome, great feature set... hope it sounds/works great too!

13. cultrvultr

cultrvultr

The only thing better than clips of this box is hearing M Sterling tear it up. You have the best clips out there!

Congrats on the pedal. Did you show Taylor to make him jealous?

14. wolffman

wolffman

Disclosures:
    Beta Tester: Red Panda Labs
    +1

15. M Sterling

Thanks cultrvultr! Being a session guy who works mainly with hip hop and electronic acts, I need to stay on top of the dubstep style of bass that is moving into a lot of mainstream music. This was my main motivation for requesting this pedal. I can only wiggle my foot so fast!!! Taylor contacted me to make sure it wasn't CV controlled (cause he's awesome like that), and let me know the differences between something like this and the concept he has for the Bubble Chamber. Let's just say that the man does not like to make compromises when designing pedals! I will still be getting a BC either way, this will be used in lieu of and, eventually, in conjunction with it. And, yes, there will be many clips showing what this bad boy is capable of!

16. Plays_For_Dog

Plays_For_Dog

17. behndy

behndy

BIG Plus Uno. the man KILLS.

cuLturo - when are you getting your Swiss Army Knife Interface box?

18. cultrvultr

cultrvultr

Not trying to derail this thread from small builders who actually DELIVER, but I feel really let down by T1M.

Dan's website had a whole page about custom builds that mentioned in big bold red letters that there was a 2-6 week wait for custom pedals. I paid in full, got on the list and have been waiting 9 weeks now with no end in sight.

I checked his site just now and he appears to have taken down all the pages about custom work. There has been no communication as to why he's running so far behind. No email, nothing on his website, facebook or twitter.

On the other hand, Taylor said 2-3 weeks for a Xero Deluxe. Showed up on time. Looks beautiful, about to shut the computer and shake the neighborhood.

19. behndy

behndy

woof. sorry man. that blows. i hope he takes care of you.

yeah, i'm SO happy that Tay-Diggsy has got his build process streamlined to where it's a much quicker delivery cycle. that's awesome you already got your Xero! i'm chewing on the couch waiting for my Franta. soooooon. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON.

go. kill babies with modulated frequencies. KILL.

20. cultrvultr

cultrvultr

Yeah. 3 cheers for people who work in music & have their Sh$%t together. Its a rare beast.

21. Ron Now

Ron Now

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    I hope this isn't a stupid question, but from what I'm understanding this is pretty much a tap tempo LFO. So it actually doesn't make sound on it's own...why are there in and out jacks then?