Copley Custom Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Metal123, Aug 1, 2001.

1. I found a Copley Custom 5 string Bass guitar that has great features and looks, its list is $1099 but I found it for 400. I would get it but I have never heard of Copley Guitars and i cannont find a website for them. Does anyone know the site?

2. rickreyn

rickreyn

I guess you saw one on e-bay? The materials look pretty good. Either they are the best kept secret or this is a startup with one guitar to offer.

3. pequeajim

pequeajim

I am looking to buy a bass guitar to get back into playing after 15 years. I want to get something inexpensive to play until I can save up enough cash for what I really want.

I saw the Copley on ebay for $350.00 and am wondering if anyone has played one and what they think? I also am looking at a cheapie Spector 5 string and would also like an opinion about it?/

Thanks
    Jim!

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Administrator

Media:
    hey man

welcome to talkbass and welcome back to bass :). i've never heard of copley before, but for $350, you can get a very usable fender MIM 5 string jazz bass - check em out, they're pretty cool and a good one is as good as any fender you'll find. sometimes you have to try out a few before you find a good one, but for the money it's worth it. if there is a mars in your area or a GC, they have them.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    I have been seeing those Copley basses on Ebay for quite awhile now. They look pretty cool, but that is all that I know about them. And they are made in Nashville, I think.

I agree with JT. Check into a Fender MIM. Decent basses for not a lot of $$. And at least you could play one of them before buying.

You could also find a good used bass for that dollar amount, too. Go to a few music stores and see what they have, and play everything within your pricerange. See what feels comfortable and sounds good to you.

Ryan

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Administrator

Media:
    btw, just for your information, MIM stands for Made In Mexico. after i posted that i figured you might not know what that means. MIA stands for Made in America.

and MIJ stands for Made in Japan.

MIB still stands for men in black, though. i don't know why. i guess because they don't make any fender basses in bolivia, bulgaria or borneo :D.

8. pequeajim

pequeajim

Hee hee.... Thanks for the information! I will check out a couple at my LMS (local music store), and see what they are all about.

9. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

I thought MIA was a movie that Chuck Norris made in the 80s... "Missing In Action..."

;)

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Media:
    Dadgummit!

I wanted to say that it stood for Made In Bulgaria.:p

11. Copley Basses

Copley Basses Guest

Just wanted to let you guys know where the web site was for the Copley basses, I don't want to advertise here or anything, just letting you know where to look. Please view the comments from the other memeber of talkbass.com who recently purchased the CBE-59NT.

Thanks,

JC

PS The basses are designed here in Nashville, but we have them produced in our offshore facility in Korea. He builds only for us and himself currently. (In the past, he has built for Gibson, Ovation, and a few other major brands).

12. mawalley

mawalley

Hey guys, I had one of the Copley CBE-59NT basses for a while. I played it every week at rehearsal and at gigs for the better part of a year.

Pros:
    - Great sound. Those humbuckers are HOT! I had to run the bass to the Low-gain input on my amp, but this was a passive bass. Loads of useful tone from those humbuckers.

- Good feel. This was my first neck-through instrument, and it felt really good to my inexperienced hands. Playing it was a breeze, the neck was nice, and I liked the overall setup. Very good physical response in this bass - you could feel the vibrations resonating in the wood.

- Solid construction. I never noticed any flaws in the materials or construction of the instrument in the time I had it.

Cons:
    - Heavy. That thing weighed a TON! For tone that's a good thing. For jumping around with a block of wood strapped to your neck, you'll have to get used to it. Keep in mind that big pieces of hardwood tend to weigh a lot, so any instrument made with good tonewoods is going to be heavy (ever picked up a Warwick?). Note that the body is maple, the top is "laced oak". VERY pretty.

- Finish. The finish is "trans amber". I don't know what they meant by this, but the finish scratches easily and shows the blemishes. I call this character on an instrument, so it's not an issue for me, but you won't be able to pound nails with it.

- Cheesy gold finish on the hardware. Some people like gold, some don't. I am one of the latter. However, no matter whether you like it or not, the gold finish is going to come off. I bought mine used, so there's no telling how many hours were on it when I got it, but after a year, I had completely worn the finish off the top of the bridge where my right hand would rub against it.

In all, I loved the bass while I had it. Looking back, I wish I had been able to keep it, and I have recently considered getting another. I got rid of it because my wife got me a new 5-string for my birthday that year, and I had to thin the herd a bit. I am SERIOUSLY considering getting a fretless 5-string like the CEB-515 from these guys. I'd prefer the CBE-59BNT in a fretless, but I haven't seen one of those. I guess I could get one and pull the frets...

13. Mad_Bassist777

Mad_Bassist777

I have a Copley CBE-61 6-string bass and I will gladly say they sound great for the price. Mine has a nice pre-amp that gives you such a huge array of tone and it plays very well.

14. bjlevine

bjlevine

I have a Copley 5 string. Mine is not the neck-thru model, but its still comfortable to play and has the preamp. I had to resolder the output jack once, but that is the only issue I had with it. NIce range of sounds.

However, I must say that after picking up a Traben 5 string, I now find 34" scale necks tend to feel a little floppy on the low B string.