Copper plates under Jazz pickups?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ender_rpm, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

My MIJ 75 RI has coper plates in the pickup cavities, grounded to the pots. I recently dropped some DiMarzio Model Js in it, and like the sound, but could use that extra bit of room. Since I put hum cancelling pick ups in, and other than a nuclear war do not see ever getting rid of this bass, does it hurt anything to pull those when I upgrade the pots to 500k?

BAss in question :)

[​IMG]
  2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

Those copper plates are less than 1mm thick... removing them doesn't buy you much room.

The way I handled your problem in my '77 (if memory serves me) was put springs from ball-point pens on the pickup screws (between the bottom of the pickup and the wood), rather than foam rubber behind the pickup, to keep the pickup up. I don't know what dimarzios you are using, but I can't imagine they are crazy deep.

Good luck!
  3. DaZombieWoof

DaZombieWoof

No utility other than shielding which is more or less redundant with the Dimarzio's having hum cancelling setup. With old single coils you wanted all the shielding you could get.
  4. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

@ Harry- I'll try the spring thing. Its partially about the room, as the Model Js are quite deep, but also about making all the soldering connections. I'm not the best with an iron, and the fewer things for me to cock up, the better :)
  5. Register to disable this ad