1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Copping these tones?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Panek, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Panek

Panek

Hey guys,

there are two recorded bass tones that I really like that I would like to replicate/duplicate to at least some extent.

First one is Chris Tense on Poison Idea's "Pick Your King" EP:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pURwHm32C70

The second one is Klaus Flouride on the Dead Kennedys' "Plastic Surgery Disasters" LP:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0nFtchU6Iw
    As for this one, here's what I know about the gear:
    Klaus, back in the Dead Kennedys days, used an Acoustic 150b and a Traynor Mono Block B, along with some 2x15 loaded with JBL's. I don't know during which years he used the amps exactly, but I have this info from the man himself. Oh, and at that time he played a 1966 Fender Jazz Bass with a Badass II bridge and SD QP pups and - I think you can hear 'em after "Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables", as his JB sounds REALLY badass!

Now, here's the gear I have at my disposal:

Bass:
    Fender Precision Bass, MIA, Badass II bridge, SD Quarter Pound pickup, Orange Drop 0.01uF cap

Amps:
    Acoustic 370
    Traynor Mono Block B

Cabs:
    Traynor YT-1500 (1970's, 2x15 loaded with Cervin-Vega drivers)
    Ampeg SVT-810 (USA, 1994)

Can you tell me, with the gear at my disposal, what settings on the amps I should look into, or any effects? Can sound like that - beefy, ballsy, full (like Klaus) and somewhat distorted, yet coherent and kicking ass (like Chris Tense) can be replicated in a live setting, or is it studio magic?

Thanks in advance!

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    I don't mean to be flippant, but why not just find some effective live sounds you like with all that nice gear rather than trying to copy some studio results? Simple is often best, IMHO.