1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Cord Replacement Help!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by cdparker2012, Dec 13, 2012.

1. cdparker2012

cdparker2012

My wife's Fender BXR-60 amp is in need of a new power cord. I'm pretty handy with this sort of thing, but I'm stumped as to how to get the back panel off to access the area where the cord is attached. I took the two screws off the sides that hold the panel in place, loosened the nuts holding the silver cover in place, as well as a couple other screws. The panel wiggles like it wants to come out, but in the end, it's still stuck. Thoughts? Thanks for the help!

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

If y' ain't handy enough to get the panel off I question your handy-ness in replacing the power cable!! :D

3. cdparker2012

cdparker2012

Gee, thanks for the vote of confidence! I was inquiring if there was a hidden screw somewhere or if there was a technique for getting the panel off.

4. Crater

Crater

No, you should NOT have removed those panel screws. Most likely it is the two screws ON TOP of the cabinet that need to be removed, then the chassis can be gently slid out of the cab, it will probably only come out one way. There will be a speaker wire attached to the chassis somewhere, it's probably connected with spade connectors so pay attention and make sure to disconnect the speaker wires before yanking the whole mess out. On every amp I've ever seen the metal chassis will be open on top.

It's very important to get the black, white and green cables in their proper place when/if you replace the power cord. It could still work if it's wired wrong, but could present a shock hazard if the hot and neutral lines get swapped. Do you own a soldering iron? The cord is either soldered in, or might be connected with spade connectors or possibly a nylon modular plug.

At the risk of being obvious, the amp should be UNPLUGGED from the wall before you do any dis-assembly on it.

*edit* the back panel does not "come off"...the whole amp chassis slides out of the cabinet. It's a metal box with an open top, typically the front and back panels aren't removable.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

I was pullin' yer chain Bro. :)

7. cdparker2012

cdparker2012

Thanks Crater, I will take a look again. Didn't see any screws in the top, other than the carry strap and the tiny screws holding the metal corner protectors on there. But good to know! Thanks again. (you too, Paul :O)

8. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

I have a BXR 200, the amp chassis slides out the back. But mine did NOT slide easily. ;)