Cort B5 (early model)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jakelly, Mar 6, 2014.

1. jakelly

jakelly

Picked this up yesterday, MIK Cort B5, and I haven't even given it a proper tryout since it has a lousy (for me) setup with ultra-low strings. Probably won't play in tune either judging by how the saddles are set. It's not my usual style of bass. I usually go for more traditional designs and non-active pups and of course, I haven't played a fiver in years (I love a 4-string with a Hipshot bass Xtender for a quick drop D when I want it).

I assume this is an early B5 since it was made in '02 and doesn't have the Hipshot Lic. hardware, and the body has a solid gunmetal gray metallic finish. Bartolini Mk I pickups and a Fishman preamp? The controls look to be Volume, Blend, and the usual 3 knob eq.

The bridge looks like it would be a bear to set up. Are these basses well thought of generally? Also, is the neck African Wenge? Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jakelly

jakelly

3. Wagz

Wagz

That's a nice bass. I have a newer Open Pore B4, and it's a compact, nicely-balanced instrument and a steal for what I paid for it. The neck on mine is a 5-ply wenge/rosewood.
    The Bart pickups and pre-amp aren't everyone's cup of tea but I like the Mk1 pickups and the pre-amp is an easy upgrade - mine has a Bart NTMB which really woke things up and gave me a lot more places to go tonally.

4. jakelly

jakelly

Thank you for the reply.

Hey, I discovered that the master volume is a push-pull and wonder what it actually does? The volume drops a lot and perhaps sounds a bit thinner with the knob pulled out. Pushed in, it goes back to more powerful tone and louder.

Could it be active/passive? Humbucker/single coil?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jeppu

jeppu

I think the push-pull on your volume knob means on-off preamp just like on-off switch on newer artisan series. ;)

7. jakelly

jakelly

OK, that's good. So preamp off makes it into a passive bass in that mode? Thanks

8. jeppu

jeppu

Yep...
    If you turn off the preamp, you are playing in passive mode.