1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Cort B5 (early model)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jakelly, Mar 6, 2014.

1. jakelly

jakelly Supporting Member

Picked this up yesterday, MIK Cort B5, and I haven't even given it a proper tryout since it has a lousy (for me) setup with ultra-low strings. Probably won't play in tune either judging by how the saddles are set. It's not my usual style of bass. I usually go for more traditional designs and non-active pups and of course, I haven't played a fiver in years (I love a 4-string with a Hipshot bass Xtender for a quick drop D when I want it).

I assume this is an early B5 since it was made in '02 and doesn't have the Hipshot Lic. hardware, and the body has a solid gunmetal gray metallic finish. Bartolini Mk I pickups and a Fishman preamp? The controls look to be Volume, Blend, and the usual 3 knob eq.

The bridge looks like it would be a bear to set up. Are these basses well thought of generally? Also, is the neck African Wenge? Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. jakelly

3. Wagz

Wagz

That's a nice bass. I have a newer Open Pore B4, and it's a compact, nicely-balanced instrument and a steal for what I paid for it. The neck on mine is a 5-ply wenge/rosewood.
    The Bart pickups and pre-amp aren't everyone's cup of tea but I like the Mk1 pickups and the pre-amp is an easy upgrade - mine has a Bart NTMB which really woke things up and gave me a lot more places to go tonally.
  4. jakelly

Thank you for the reply.

Hey, I discovered that the master volume is a push-pull and wonder what it actually does? The volume drops a lot and perhaps sounds a bit thinner with the knob pulled out. Pushed in, it goes back to more powerful tone and louder.

Could it be active/passive? Humbucker/single coil?
  5. jeppu

jeppu

I think the push-pull on your volume knob means on-off preamp just like on-off switch on newer artisan series. ;)
  6. jakelly

OK, that's good. So preamp off makes it into a passive bass in that mode? Thanks
  7. jeppu

jeppu

Yep...
    If you turn off the preamp, you are playing in passive mode.