Cort Curbow 6 for $450?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 5Bass5, Feb 14, 2014.

1. 5Bass5

5Bass5

So I tried out my neighbor's Cort Curbow 5. It felt awesome, and played awesome! I've been looking for a 6 string for a while, so I looked to see if I could find a Cort Curbow 6. I found a used one for $450. The only difference (I might be wrong) with the used one is that it has a Bartolini MK-1 Active Pickup instead of whatever pickup comes with the bass. Correct me if that's the pickup that comes with it.

Anyways, is it worth buying? Or should I see if I can get one for a lower price? I can't find any new Cort Curbow 6's to compare the price, soo... yeah.

2. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

If I'm correct, the MK-1 pickup is the standard pickup it came with.

For the price.. I think it's a decent price. Can't remember what the new price was, but $450 seems alright to me :)

3. Papazita

Papazita

$450 seems a little high.
    I bought a Cort Curbow 6 online from a Music Go Round shop last summer for right around $250. It's a nice bass for the price!
    They Bart mk1 pickup is standard issue on the Curbow, though earlier models came with a Mighty Mite pickup. I can't offer an opinion on the Mighty Mite, but from what I've read, apparently that pickup pretty much sucks. The Bart is a much better choice.

The only thing I can fault my Curbow on is the neck & string spacing are a little on the large side, especially coming from Ibanez and their skinny little necks!

4. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Although Cort re-introduced the Curbows again last year, they only manufactured runs of 4 and 5 strings. Unless there's been any recent changes to the lineup, you will not find new Cort Curbow 6-strings.

The only 6 strings out there are floating around the used market and are not so common to locate. I have seen them ranging from $299 - 500, depending on seller/condition, etc. Really cool to hear about $250 per the above post. I'd like to own one someday. (It'd be even more awesome to track down and be able to afford a real Curbow Petite 6.)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

Curbow six strings are hard to find, so even finding one at a decent price is difficult. $450 is a little bit on the high side, but then again you rarely see them up for sale. $300-350 seems to be a more correct pricing for used.
    I've bought and owned five curbow basses, some with the Mighty mite pickups, others with the Bartolini. The Bartolini pickup was added to later models and improved the sound of the basses- Mighty Mite curbows had a thinner sound.

The wood body Curbow with the two pickups are ones I would probably go for these days- older luthite ones just didn't work for me unfortunately but in retrospect, I should have at least kept one. I bought all of them used with prices ranging from $124 to $199 from GC.

7. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

I recall the music store I took lessons in selling one for 489 brand new all those years ago.