Cort Curbow

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ux4484, Feb 20, 2014.

1. ux4484

ux4484

Going to see a Cort Curbow single pup active for $150.
    What is to like about this bass?
    Concerns?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Luthite is delicate. If the guy used it like an idiot, the neck pocket can easily become loose.
    Make sure the neck can't be yanked from left to right in the pocket.
    Other than that, super comfy instrument, good neck, decent electronics that can easily be improved.

3. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

I've had five of them... $150 is a pretty good price. One thing to see is if it's an older Curbow with the Mighty Mite pickup or one of the Bartolini ones. (Bartolini is better)

Being luthite, watch out for screws on this bass- like the strap holders. Very easy for the thread to get stripped in Luthite, so make sure it isn't wobbly.
    Necks themselves should be looked at to make sure the truss rod is functional. For some reason, these basses when bought new, require quite a bit of tweaking to get the action low. Super low action isn't quite possible that being said, as the front body of the Curbow is curved- the bridge placement is on the lower side of the body curve. Strings will be on the pickup if set to extremely low because of this.
    Sound is a little lacking on the low end and also still a little weak despite the Bartolini upgrade. The bass will also be hard to put on your lap if you're a big guy- but it is a comfortable bass, pretty nice overall but I would go for the newer Curbows with the two pickups.

4. ux4484

ux4484

The one I originally posted about had a jilted and chipped neck joint, so I passed. I'd kept my eyes open, and came across two of them just recently (both blue with the Bart pup). One is flawless looking, but the high end is VERY weak (either switch position, even tweaking the rear trimmer pots, fresh battery), the other one plays and sounds fantastic, but has some dings, and some chipping at the top of the neck joint at the body (but the neck IS secure). The latter is at GC, the former at a small shop in the burbs. Both want around $300, but I think I could GC down in the $200 range because of the cosmetic issues. Though, I have to say, playing both of these through amps is kind of killing my GAS for one. The GC on plays wonderfully, but the Barto pup just isn't doing it for me. It almost seems like I'd need a noise gate just for this bass (I was playing it through the same amp I have at home).
    Probably the weirdest thing is how small the body seems, and yet is so comfortable on the lap and the strap.

Fender JP-90
    Epi Bass Club #169 JC sig

5. Register to disable this ad