1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Cort GB Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by splicer404, Oct 22, 2012.

1. splicer404

splicer404

Hello, It's my first time posting here, so bear with me please.

I've found a bass (or i would say some basses) that's not on the Cort website, but it's pretty cheap so it would fit my budget on buying a bass. My question is: Has anyone tried this one out? I haven't found any reviews on it.
    Here's a picture of the bass: http://hangmester.hu/pic/termek/gitar/cort bass/standard series/jb_3ts.jpg

It has the regular Powersound Jazz PUs, just like the Ibanez GSR180, an agathis body, rosewood fretboard, etc.

Thanks in advance!
  2. thehangingmist

thehangingmist

i think those are nice basses for that kind of money!
  3. Chico16

Chico16

HOLY CRAP! Where are these basses at?! (Since you say they're not on the cort website) I have a Cort Action V and I'm extremely happy with it. It's currently my back up bass but I'm thinking of sporting it at a few gigs just for the hell of it! It's a cheap bass that doesn't sound cheap. At least to me :)
  4. splicer404

splicer404

They're selling in Hungary, for approx. 200 dollars
  5. Wallace320

Wallace320

Pickups are the same because Ibanez are assembled (as many other brands out there) right at the Cort facility
    But I said your choice could be "wiser" 'cause those pickups were conceived for Fender knockoffs, so are multipurpose retrofits and work good on a proper Jazz bass shaped body. Ibanez Soundgears count on different quality tonewoods and electronics that make'em stand up in an already crowded market, but those pickups (traditional single coil ones) agathis or not, are way more resoundin' on a Cort Jazz copy than on a Gio Ibanez
    And for the guy talkin' about the Action V, yeah I happened to test a "reddy" quilted maple top Action IV and it could handle downtuning (I play mostly thrash metal stuff) and harmonics more than many other sought after models out there!

Cheers,
    Wallace
  6. splicer404

splicer404

@Wallace

I see, thanks for the information!
  7. nozebleeds

nozebleeds

i love my gb75. i was gassing for a lakland but i bought a mesa amp instead and bought the cort.
  8. Wallace320

Wallace320

It's not the case we're discussin', 'cause I too had a GB74 and they are great for they sport ash bodies with a very powerful and versatile electronic (and, as I already stated, Lakland Skyline are assembled at Cort's as well, so why are they pricer for:eyebrow:?!)

Not the case here 'cause these are agathis J or P/J basses,
    so their deal is to weight like a proper Fender (agathis is no basswood but indo pine) gettin' the kid accustomed to shape, dimensions and, in a way, "sound" (agathis sounds brilliant and somehow "snappier" than Squier's basswood but unfortunately tend to "disappear" in a crowded band mix) of a Fender big brother, then lettin' everything up to the kid's progressions

You did it good: mesa amp is... wow:bassist:

Cheers,
    Wallace
  9. splicer404

splicer404

@Wallace

By any chance, can you suggest any good basses around 200$?
  10. Wallace320

Wallace320

I mean...
    Everybody can order everything on the net, but can you actually "touch" the most of them or have to leave it up to advices of sort?

Cheers,
    Wallace
  11. splicer404

splicer404

The shop is pretty far away from me, so I most likely have to order the bass.
    Trying it wouldn't actually make a difference, because I'm not a bass player. (yet :)) Well of course I could ask the shopkeeper to play/compare them.
  12. Wallace320

Wallace320

If you dig modern shaped basses:

Yamaha RBX 270J
    passive P/J configured alder body bass
    Strong attack, steady lowend, well balanced, with a correct rosewood fingerboard.
    Con being an average design

Fernandes Gravity
    passive J/J configured alder body bass
    Snappier than Yamaha, with less lowend, same balancin' and nononsense rosewood fingerboard

Ibanez GSR200FM (flamed maple)
    P/J configured mahogany body bass with phatboost circuitry
    The only Gio Ibanez I tend to suggest, for it's no agathis, but mahogany instead (just like proper Soundgears) and phatboost
    adds more power (like Captain Kirk said to Chief Engineer Scot)
    to a sleek and smart piece of a bass

If you're much into classic shaped basses, trouble starts with, sometimes, poor raw materials (agathis, pine, plywood, poplar)

Fernandes Atlas
    passive MM unipickup configured alder body maple fingerboard
    it also has a serial/parallel capacitor just like original MusicMan but stays obviously way cheaper.

Fernandes Retrospect
    passive P/J "jazz" configured alder body bass
    classy, snappy, with pleasant midrange and a body to slap on
    Con being unclassy Gotoh shaped small tuners

Hope this helps

Cheers,
    Wallace
  13. splicer404

splicer404

I'll look them up, thanks a lot for your time!
  14. Chico16

Chico16

Damn it, I would love to purchase a 5 string version of this, but I can't find any for sale anywhere and I've never seen a Cort at any guitar centers near me :/
  15. Tegdim_Bassist

Tegdim_Bassist

Hey mate. I own one a black of these and i have to say, it's the best purchase i have ever made in the music industry. Highly recommend. :)
  16. lion75

lion75

IT is a great bass I Have a Cort PB-50(P-bass) and i think this is going to be my next target :D
  17. Ronbeast

Ronbeast

I have a Cort GB44, GB54 and a slammer bass. If I could find a cheap jazz bass like the one in the OP to pick up, I definitely would. It's amazing how much bass you can get if you buy a used Cort, I got my GB54 used in mint condition for $75.
  18. gerard_66six

gerard_66six

I totally agree with you chico.

I have the Cort Action DLX-4 and I totally love it. It has been my only bass for more than a year now and it never disappoint me.

I think I saw the same model as the one posted by the OP in one of the music stores here in the Philippines while I was trying out some mooer pedals. I'm thinking of going back there this weekend and see if I can try that one and give you guys some info.

Cheers,

Gerard